Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cruising to Hawaii - what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cruising-hawaii-what-do-t181346.html)

AprilG 03-02-2012 05:47 AM

Cruising to Hawaii - what to do?

My DH and I are cruising to Hawaii in November. We will have 8 days at sea. I need my quilting fix! What can I take with me to work on? Hand sewing, of course. I am asking for suggestions now so I can plan ahead and get fabric. Or, at least raid my stash and plan ahead. Maybe I can meet some other quilters and form a "long-distance" group. Please keep in mind that I am basically a beginner. I have been sewing clothes, dolls' bodies and clothes and craft items for over 50 years, but am new to quilting and this is a new experience to me. Loving it!!!

nycquilter 03-02-2012 05:56 AM

I love taking hand applique with me on rides...the subway to and from work, the high-speed train from Madrid to Barcelona, in the car, and so on. I work on relatively smaller pieces that fit in my lap so they don't drag on anything and get dirty. I made a little kit to hold thread, needle threaders, needles, pins. And a little folder to hold the fabrics. It's easy to transport and can be done virtually anywhere. Enjoy your cruise.

QuiltnNan 03-02-2012 06:08 AM

everything that nycquilter said. also, if your vision needs assistance, take extra glasses to be sure. have a wonderful time!

ptquilts 03-02-2012 08:39 AM

How about Cathedral Window or Grandmother's FLower Garden? I bet you will meet a lot of nice people as they stop to see what you are doing.

Scissor Queen 03-02-2012 10:17 AM

Personally I would just enjoy all the cruise has to offer. Taking a vacation from all the things you do everyday can really help recharge and get your juices flowing when you come back from vacation. When I go on vacation I'm truly on vacation!

athenagwis 03-02-2012 10:24 AM

I would second hand applique. I would find a nice project and prep the pieces ahead of time and take them with me. I will often prep a block ahead of time and take it with me when I know I will be sitting somewhere for a while. It's a nice way to enjoy my sitting around time. I love the patterns from Bee in My Bonnet personally, she does some of my absolute fave applique patterns. Let me know if you want a link to her site!!

Good luck!
Rachel

nycbgirl 03-02-2012 10:49 AM

I took that cruise in Jan..and I had a fubulous time. I did not bring any sewing but I bought a few books and relaxed by reading.

greenini 03-02-2012 11:00 AM

We've been on a bunch of cruises and while it was before I quilted, there were usually enough activities that we were never bored. In case you think you might need a fix, I would second the suggestion of GFG all cut and ironed to freezer paper. I used to baste them and sew them together while in the car. In any case, enjoy your cruise and have fun!

AprilG 03-02-2012 11:43 AM

Most of the time I agree with Scissor Queen. Vacation is a time for relaxation. However, this is not our first cruise and I am going to just relax. After all, I am retired and really need a vacation (said sarcastically). But seriously, I do enjoy sitting on the Promenade deck and people watching. I watch for sea animals and enjoy the passing people. With 4 days to Hawaii and 4 days back, I'll need something besides watching people, reading, walking, and eating. The bars are wonderful, but since I am diabetic, drinking is not an option. Thank you for all the great ideas and suggestions.

Country1 03-02-2012 11:56 AM

Hope you have and Awesome trip. It sounds like a dream to me. I would consider some hand applique, cross stitch, hand piecing, BUT most of all enjoy your trip and time with your husband!... It's not everyday to get to go on a cruise or to Hawaii!..