Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crumbug! Can't seem to find an appropriate pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crumbug-cant-seem-find-appropriate-pattern-t6513.html)

Nina 04-25-2008 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I've been accumulating this bluebonnet fabric a little at a time - it is what I consider quite costly per yard. Anyway, I can't seem to find a pattern to do it justice. Part of the problem is that I want to fussy cut the large bluebonnet print, shown below with a ruler. The right hand side fabric in the photo is kinda set aside for the backing - but I'm not married to that concept.

I know this has to be a simple design to allow for the large piece of the fussy cut - and I've considered making the flag fabric a border or maybe corners on the blocks.

Any and all ideas? I'm gonna keep looking, too. Thanks, folks.

patricej 04-25-2008 02:36 PM

you could cut around them to applique on a different background, or around the border

Nina 04-25-2008 02:40 PM

Good idea - but my applique is really bad. I think I have a mental block on it. I'll keep it in mind and if that is the choice will snag someone to babysit me while I try it.

Thanks.

Chele 04-25-2008 04:49 PM

Very pretty! I had no idea what a bluebonnet was! Do you have enough of the flag fabric for the backing? It goes, but it in my opinion it distracts from those lovely bluebonnet florals you've collected. I love your idea of fussy cutting. Maybe use the other fabrics to frame? Something star shaped? Stars remind me of Texas. The Lonestar state? All I know that it is going to be gorgeous anyway you go!

annmarie 04-25-2008 07:18 PM

In my humble opinion:
The flag piece does not blend with the other fabrics - as a backing it would be OK
I would not fussy cut. You have 4 beautiful coordinating fabrics, why chop one up?
Not knowing how much you have of each: how about a log cabin or mixed nine patches or even a disappearing nine patch?
If you cruise the web you'll find lots of great patterns for 4 fabric quilts.

BUT - this is just my opinion...............

Nina 04-25-2008 08:40 PM

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that way too. The flag pattern can be used for something else. If I need another fabric for the pattern, I'll find a complimentary mini-print or solid. I'll look at the disappearing nine patch and check it out.

And, you are correct that fussy cutting isn't best use of fabric. Will reconsider (especially since it will take so much less time to cut the pieces.)

I like the star idea - might use it on the corners.

Thanks. Good comments, ladies.

DA Mayer 04-26-2008 04:21 AM

Maybe an attic window or some pattern that 'frames' the print. I think the colors of the flag go well with the other prints. In the corners would be just enough of that print and then on the backing if you like. Make the backing a pattern also with solid colors and the flag. Check out this log cabin pattern. www.stitchinpost.com Stitchin' Post Free Pattern- Picture-Perfect Log Cabin. It has the picture center, log cabin frame and corner pieces. Reminds me of the corner tabs that were used to hold photos in albums. Just a thought on how to display or show off your fabric. Good luck Denise

marty_mo 04-26-2008 04:55 AM

How about a snowball out of the bluebell fabric and using a solid coordinating color or a tone on tone as the corner blocks? I've added a link in case you are not sure what the snowball block is ~ it's the block on the right ~ very easy.

Another thought is grouping the nine patch and snowblock together like the link below, you could do a nine patch of the solid or tone on tone along with small patches of the bluebell fabric then a snowball as mentioned above.

I would also use the flag material in another project.

Just a suggetion and my opinion ~ regardless...I am sure whatever you do will turn out fine. Happy Quilting!

www.how-to-quilt.com/patterns/snowball2.pdf

Knot Sew 04-26-2008 05:08 AM

Thats a lot of prints whatever patterns I would try to put some solid blue, the color of the flowers and green to match the leaves. Have you thought of making more than one quilt with the florals.

I used to have a field of these across the road from me but is all built up now..........sigh :!: :D :D

isnthatodd 04-26-2008 05:28 AM

Attic windows is the first pattern that came to mind. I have been thinking of doing one like that with fabric printed from my own pictures, but haven't been able to get any pictures I like. Maybe next year.