Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cuddle/Plush/Minky fabric problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cuddle-plush-minky-fabric-problems-t312201.html)

HettyB 08-20-2020 09:45 AM

Cuddle/Plush/Minky fabric problems

Received two tops for Linus to quilt. One lap size and the other single bed sized

The backing given is cuddle plush type fabrics.

It is like quilting a melted marshmallow. The quilt just lays there in a puddle on the bed of the sewing machine. (HQ Sweet 16). And the fibres pull up with the thread (Glide 40wt). Talk about bearding! There seems to be no 'body' to the quilt... Auuggh!

Backing stretches like crazy. These were pin basted, then thread basted. The pile on the backing is too deep to hold spray baste, which I don't like using for donation quilts even though these will be thoroughly washed before leaving my workroom. The deepest pile is on the side away from the top; smoother side against the cotton top.

And where the excess backing was trimmed, fibres have gone into my cutting mat and there is freaking lint everywhere!

Am I doing something wrong, are these tops too big for cuddle/plush fabrics or just the nature of the fabric?

Regardless, it is thoroughly unpleasant all-round.

HettyB

Tartan 08-20-2020 11:07 AM

I have not used minky for backing quilting on my sewing machine. I have seen others on QB get lovely results but I don’t know if that is on sewing machine or long arm. Hopefully one of those will give you some tips.

ckcowl 08-20-2020 02:17 PM

I’ve quilted Queen sized quilts with Minky backs- it is my families favorite quilt back. I do use batting between the Minky and the quilt top. It’s important to Smooth, not stretch it. If it’s all basted it’s shouldn’t be stretching. Loosen your tension just a little, I usually use a 50 weight thread, but have used 40 a couple times. Make sure you are using a nice, sharp, new needle.
ive not had the ( bearding) problem, maybe because I use batting- which seems to hold everything together nicely. I have heard that the fibers go back where they belong after laundering. A thinner, sharp needle might help.top tension needs to be a bit less too.
maybe ( if you have any extra) put together a couple small sandwiches together and practice a bit to get the hang of not stretching your fabrics,

loisf 08-20-2020 08:18 PM

I always use Elmer's School Glue for basting. It holds the "minky" backing without any stretching at all. I always use batting also. I have had one quilt where I used a Jo-Ann "minky" that had longer plush, and it did pull through to the top. I tore it off and used a different backing. I've also used a dimpled "minky" that wouldn't adhere to the glue, so I did have to spray baste that one. Now I won't use any "minky" except Shannon Cuddle. Never any problems.

aashley333 08-21-2020 03:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The first time I used minky for backing, I said,"Nevev again!" It looked like someone had blown dandelions everywhere when cut.
Once I learned a few tricks, it wasn't so bad. So, by my second minky backing was a piece of cake.
  1. I didn't use batting because the minky was super heavy in the plastic bag that my cousin bought for the back of her t-shirt quilt.
  2. I quilted on my domestic machine with newspaper between the minky and the feed dog. (SID)
  3. I extended the minky in order to fold to front for binding because I couldn't think of another way to bind. Worked great using a zig zag stitch (serpentine?)
  4. lint brush
They turn out super snuggly! with a soft frame!

quiltedsunshine 08-21-2020 08:06 PM

I've learned that if you can quilt from the back, the minky doesn't beard to the front.

To get it out of your cutting mat, use a gum eraser.