Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a cuddly quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cuddly-quilt-t18957.html)

mynani 04-14-2009 01:56 PM

This is my question. I have made quite a few quilts and they look very nice but I am not happy with them. I want a quilt that my family would like to cuddle up under on a cold winter night. A soft fluffy quilt to comfort the soul. Do I use flannel as the backing/ And the thickest batting there is? Do I do minimal quilting as that flattens the quilt. I made a beautiful sofa quilt for my daughter and it just sits on the back of the sofa as it it not soft and people friendly. Thanks in advance. Anita

BlueChicken 04-14-2009 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My kids favourite quilt in the house is one with a faux fur backing. It's lovely and soft, very tactile, and just awesome to cuddle up with. I used no batting, and I random quilted in the ditch (it's a random pattern).

Moonpi 04-14-2009 02:57 PM

My own experience (so don't shoot me) is that the softest and cuddliest ones are hand quilted. I can just lift a quilt blindfolded and tell the difference.

SaraSewing 04-14-2009 03:17 PM

Blue chicken: I'd love to cuddle under that quilt! As for having a quilt that the whole family loves, I believe that flannel is the best. I don't even care if it's tied or quilted, etc. Pretty colors, soft fabric, and having it accessable are the key points.

barnbum 04-14-2009 03:49 PM

The softest quilt I've made--and I've made a LOT of them--is a ragged flannel. Flannel on both sides with cotton batting between--you can't beat it. I call them a hug-to-go when I give them as gifts.

shaverg 04-14-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
My own experience (so don't shoot me) is that the softest and cuddliest ones are hand quilted. I can just lift a quilt blindfolded and tell the difference.

Ok, MoonPi, I'm not going to shoot you, LOL, because I am a handquilter. But this has Faux Fur. I think it may beat our handqulting. I would like to cuddle up under it. That is if I wasn't is So. Callifornia.

MadQuilter 04-14-2009 04:14 PM

My favorite batting is "warm and natural" and my favorite quilt is a scrappy cotton that has been washed within an inch of its life. It is so soft from repeated use that it conforms to the body. It is also a cat magnet.

BlueChicken 04-14-2009 04:21 PM

I love flannel too... especially for baby quilts and cats! ;-)

littlehud 04-14-2009 06:48 PM

I am working on three baby quilts all made out of flannel. I would cuddle under any of them. They are soooooo soft.

MissTami 04-14-2009 09:33 PM

This is just my own opinion but I find that if you tie a quilt instead of quilting the whole thing it makes the quilt more huggable. Also perhaps you could use a blanket/comforter that they like or one simular as the middle of the quilt. Sometimes fleece will help for the backing. I hope these might help or trigger a thought you had not thought of yet.

MissTami :roll: