Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cultural differences in quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cultural-differences-quilting-t48557.html)

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-25-2010 06:44 PM

Adorable !! :)

earthwalker 07-25-2010 08:28 PM

Jan, what a wonderful quilt. Lovely bright colours and happy little animals are just perfect for a small person. Thank you for letting us see the finished gift, I am sure it is going to be treasured by the recipients.

Tiffany 07-25-2010 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I hope I know how to ask this question correctly without offending anyone or starting a political discussion. I need to make a baby quilt for a couple from China.

Background: my DH's company sent him to China 4-5 times per yr. He became very good friends with a young engineer and to this day they still are even tho DH is no longer employed. DH even went to his wedding.

Problem: we just found out they are expecting their first (and due to China's one-child policy) prob only child. I want to make a baby quilt for them.

Question: does anyone know what are typical "baby colors" or themes for babies in China? They are a very educated and well-to-do hard working couple so are very "modern". I don't know if some colors are taboo or offensive or shouldn't be used for babies.

If anyone has any ideas or can help me out I'd really appreciate it. In my opinion, babies are babies are babies!! I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thanks-Jan

I haven't read all the replies but I can tell you that you do not want to use butterflies on this quilt. I worked for a couple from China and wanted to make them a quilt for their store. I was going to do it in butterflies but when I asked her about it, she told me that in China the butterfly represents sadness. :( I happen to love butterflies and was a bit surprised by this but she said it goes back to a story written several hundred years ago. I can't remember the story, just the fact that they find butterflies sad instead of beautiful and amazing.

EDIT: Well, I can see now that I've bothered to look that you have already finished the quilt. It looks great and they should be very happy to receive such a thoughtful gift!

dsb38327 07-26-2010 04:23 AM

Very pretty. Now you can rest, the gift is finished. Good job.

Quilt Mom 07-26-2010 12:54 PM

Very nicely done! :thumbup:

janRN 09-03-2010 01:54 PM

Finally the quilt was delivered. DH is in China for work and had dinner with the young couple and gave them the quilt. They loved it!! She kept opening it up and refolding it and just loving it. I feel so good.

Thanks again to all of you-I know I obsessed and over-thought this whole project but it was so important to me. You guys all gave me so much support and ideas and encouragement. Thank you so much-you are all such giving people.

tooMuchFabric 09-03-2010 10:15 PM

It is a beautiful quilt, and very tasteful.
It says "Beloved Baby" in any language, I'm sure!

calla 09-04-2010 06:49 AM

Actually, when I went fabric shopping in Cancun, I wanted something I couldn't pruchase here in the U.S. Just my thoughts............calla/Sue