Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Curb side (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/curb-side-t118317.html)

ThreadHead 04-24-2011 12:10 PM

ThreadHead]The neighbor down the street had a yard sale for the last two days. He said what he didn't sell was going in the garbage.
I haven't cleaned them up yet, don't even know if they will run.

OK, I wiped the 401A down and put oil in every moveable part I could see without taking it apart and doing it right.
I tested--- It makes noise from the inside so I know I have to take it apart and clean it.
The straight stitch works perfect and so does some of the decorative stitches, didn't test all. It doesn't make as much noise after using it, but I will still clean it out. I can't believe it works so good. I tested my Esante with a couple of the same stitches and the Esante didn't make as much noise, and stitches were almost the same.
Might need to keep this one. lol What a dummy he was for trashing them.
Syl

dixiebelle162002 04-24-2011 12:13 PM

Big, big score!!!

Surfergirl 04-24-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
ThreadHead]The neighbor down the street had a yard sale for the last two days. He said what he didn't sell was going in the garbage.
I haven't cleaned them up yet, don't even know if they will run.

OK, I wiped the 401A down and put oil in every moveable part I could see without taking it apart and doing it right.
I tested--- It makes noise from the inside so I know I have to take it apart and clean it.
The straight stitch works perfect and so does some of the decorative stitches, didn't test all. It doesn't make as much noise after using it, but I will still clean it out. I can't believe it works so good. I tested my Esante with a couple of the same stitches and the Esante didn't make as much noise, and stitches were almost the same.
Might need to keep this one. lol What a dummy he was for trashing them.
Syl

Make sure you oil the machines and lubricate the gears.

barbsmith 04-24-2011 12:17 PM

I have a 401A which I purchased in 1961. I have used it consistently for the past 50 years and it is still going strong. It was my only machine until this past Christmas. It is still my favorite machine.

ThreadHead 04-24-2011 12:27 PM

The Tiny Tailor is a little cheap machine which I will give to the youngest daughter of my son, she is 6.
The other GD is 10 and she already sews on my Kenmore. The 10 year old has been sewing for a year now. She tried out my Esante one day, sewing a couple of straight lines, she turned to me and gave me this "look" . I said, " what, what's the matter". I thought she did something wrong. She proceeded to argue with me about how I got to use the "good machine" and she got the "older one". I told her if I got a new machine she could have the Esante, and she was ok with that.
Syl

Patchworkmarion 04-24-2011 12:38 PM

Lucky you.

AnnT 04-24-2011 01:08 PM

Wow! What wonderful finds. I learned to sew on a Singer Model 401...just like the one you have pictured. My Momma still has it and uses it. She said it still runs as good as it did when she bought it new years ago!

TownQuilter 04-24-2011 03:02 PM

you are so lucky!!!!

MaryStoaks 04-24-2011 03:23 PM

You hit the jackpot! Congratulations! :thumbup: :thumbup:

harrishs 04-24-2011 03:39 PM

I gasped when I saw your pictures! How could anyone not save those!!!!