Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Curves, curves, and more curves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/curves-curves-more-curves-t308517.html)

OutdoorQuilter 12-09-2019 10:02 PM

Curves, curves, and more curves

What is your Go-To method of sewing curves?
A walking foot? Pins? The Curve Master? Starch and winging it?
I am designing my first quilt pattern, which is basically 60% curved pieces. My first trials turned out terrible and I started to wonder if my pattern was bad or if I was just terrible at sewing. Well, it turned out that both of those were true! I've finally got the pattern templates perfect, but I still haven't found that sweet spot for doing my curves. I bought The Curve Master foot out of desperation, but it seems like I should be able to do this without giving myself an ulcer. I have to write a pattern telling people how to do it, but don't feel like I've figured it out myself!

sewbizgirl 12-09-2019 10:15 PM

It takes lots of practice before curved seams come out well.

Claire123 12-09-2019 10:31 PM

I have had luck with the Drunkard's Path block. It can be sewn many ways. I use lots of pins and take my time. I haven't done freeform curves at this point, but it absolutely can be done. Just keep at it.

betthequilter 12-10-2019 03:25 AM

Agree with Claire123 ..... pins and slow stitching.

Mkotch 12-10-2019 03:31 AM

I have a Curve Master foot but find that a quarter inch seam foot works just as well. Align the beginning, hold one piece in each hand, raise the left side slightly, and go. When you're about 1/2" from the end, use sharp tweezers to hold the two pieces together. This takes some practice and coordination but you get the hang of it fairly quickly. It is essential, though, to hold the left (top) piece up. Maybe there's a YouTube that may help you?

bearisgray 12-10-2019 04:10 AM

How shallow - or deep - are the curves?

ckcowl 12-10-2019 04:30 AM

I find the center point of both pieces, convex on top match the centers & place a pin, then pin the two ends. Concave on bottom, convex on top I then ease the two pieces together as I stitch the seam. Hope that makes sense.

OutdoorQuilter 12-10-2019 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8338393)
How shallow - or deep - are the curves?

Like the seam allowance? 1/4"
Or like the diameter? There are two curved seams on the block the first is a 3.5" diameter (1.75 radius), so it's small, and the second finished seam ends up being a 7" diameter (3.5" radius).
Is that what you are asking? They are definitely smaller, and I have sewn large curves before without a problem so I'm sure that had something to do with it.
I agree with Claire and Beth. Pinning is how I've seen the most accurate seams, it's just very time consuming, and I have a cheap machine so every time I stop there's a little janky part that goes all crooked. (There isn't a needle down option)
I also don't want to turn people off because it seems so exhaustive.

coopah 12-10-2019 05:08 AM

I use Curvemaster for the curves like half circles...anything that would require many pins to make it without puckers. I bought it for a DWR and loved the way it worked without pins or a lot of extra time.

OutdoorQuilter 12-10-2019 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 8338395)
I find the center point of both pieces, convex on top match the centers & place a pin, then pin the two ends. Concave on bottom, convex on top I then ease the two pieces together as I stitch the seam. Hope that makes sense.

Umm, wow, I think I've been doing it upside down. See what I mean? It might be that I'm just not very good at this.... Okay I've got to get my kids out the door and then I'll go try it with concave on the bottom. I'll update in a bit.