Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   custom cutting mat - rhino vs magic mat-anyone have either of these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/custom-cutting-mat-rhino-vs-magic-mat-anyone-have-either-these-t299210.html)

gale 08-29-2018 10:43 PM

custom cutting mat - rhino vs magic mat-anyone have either of these?

I love my martelli mat but every time I cut out something big like apparel patterns, or trace apparel pattern pieces, I have to take it off my table because of the edges getting in the way. The mat itself is too small for these types of patterns to fit. The bigger martelli mat is just a few inches narrow and about an inch too long for my table top. Having a top cut to fit won't work because of the size of the base. So I was thinking about investing in a custom size mat. I found several online sites that carry one or both of these brands. Rhino and Magic Mat. Does anyone have either or both of these that can tell me if you like them?

dublb 08-30-2018 04:48 AM

I have never heard of these. How cool is that! I hope someone has an answer for ya.

Snooze2978 08-30-2018 05:29 AM

I tried to find a custom sized mat, self-healing to fit my cutting table. Finally ended up making the table to fit the mat. Self-healing on both sides, one side is green with markings and the other side is black with marking. I added a piece of wood trim around the table up just enough to be even with the mat.............to keep the mat from shifting......not that it would as its not light weight. I also glued the corners down as the mat came rolled up. Love my mat but found that the markings are not true to measurements.

gale 08-30-2018 09:21 AM

If I was going to make my top fit the mat, I would only be interested in Martelli. I don't like fiskars or olfa mats after using the Martelli. And the nearest sized Martelli is narrower than my cutting table's base so that wouldn't be an option. I was hoping someone has actually used either the rhino mat or the magic mat.

Sewfree 08-30-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by gale (Post 8118684)
If I was going to make my top fit the mat, I would only be interested in Martelli. I don't like fiskars or olfa mats after using the Martelli. And the nearest sized Martelli is narrower than my cutting table's base so that wouldn't be an option. I was hoping someone has actually used either the rhino mat or the magic mat.

I have the Rhino mat and love it. DH bought it for me for Christmas last year. I cut lots and lots of long strips and tend to cut in the same area all the time because of the lighting and so far there's no cuts in the mat. It's the 3x6' size. It feels different to cut on than the Olfa or others I've had, feels so smooth I had to get use to it cause it didn't feel like I was actually cutting through the fabrics. I put a piece of double stick tape under each corner so it stays put.
Julene

gale 08-30-2018 03:24 PM

I sent a message to a company that sells them (not sure if it's the company that makes them but I think it is) asking to buy small sample sizes to compare and they're going to send me some. I'll report back about how they compare.

Cheryl7758 08-31-2018 03:58 AM

interested in hearing the results after you get the samples

gale 09-18-2018 02:12 PM

I got the samples today. Both are very similar when it comes to cutting. The green mat (magic mat) is slightly better-some cuts were not as complete on the rhino mat (which is white and doesn't come with the grid printed on it except in a really big and expensive size) and I had to cut through twice for them. The grid is important to me and since the magic mat is a little better, I think that's what I'll go with. It costs more though and I'll be honest-I like the look of the white one better. But the looks are probably the least of what I should be worried about. The speedpress site (the company that makes them) is the cheapest and they cut within 1/4". I think that should be close enough for me.

gale 09-18-2018 02:26 PM

I did a few more cuts, and on various materials. Knits, quilting cotton, foam, batting, and denim. All cut okay-sometimes the cut seems less on the white. But now that I've been doing all this cutting I noticed something. On the green mat I can't even see where I've been cutting. On the white mat I can see pretty much every cut. It's smooth-it feels okay. But between the two the healing is definitely better on the green.

pewa88 09-18-2018 03:46 PM

A bit off the subject here but since this thread is about cutting mats I would like to ask about taking care of self healing mats and how long should they last. I bought a Martelli maybe 4 years ago and it has several places that have deep grooves where many cuts are made. I thought these expensive mats were supposed to last a long time?? Is there a way to remedy this? I just am not too impressed with the Martelli. I had an Olfa mat that lasted a lot longer and actually is still a back-up.