Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   'Cut 'n Press' How do I keep it clean? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cut-n-press-how-do-i-keep-clean-t45498.html)

Janis 05-10-2010 08:57 PM

I just got a new June Taylor 'Quilter's Cut 'n Press' and want some suggestions as to how to keep it clean, other than just not using it! What has or hasn't worked for you in keeping something like this looking good and clean? Has anyone used Scotchgard or something else on one? I really need your help!!! My old one is not looking good on the pressing side again. I washed it once and rinsed it and let it drip dry in the bath tub a while back, but it is really looking bad again, and the lines are wonky on that side too. I plan to keep it as a back up and will try washing it again, it can't hurt it now.

thimblebug6000 05-10-2010 09:18 PM

Hmmmmm.....sorry....mine isn't looking so pretty....but it works...and that's what counts to me. I try not to use steam as I find it distorts things.....

crmanina 05-10-2010 10:56 PM

Janis, I covered the 'press' side by pinning some scrap fabric to it. I use it for turning under applique pieces and the starch builds up and gets 'gunky' after a while. Then I replace my scrap fabric. The cut side, I just wipe down with a damp cloth and have never had to do anything else.

:)...Rae in San Diego

annette1952 05-10-2010 10:57 PM

Mine doesn't look good either. I agree the steam distorts it. You can't use the lines if you want anything straight. I use it next to the sewing machine when I paper piece.If someone was to take it to a class I guess you might care more on what it looks like but I find it hard to keep it looking decent.

littlehud 05-11-2010 02:17 AM

hmmmmm.......just looked at mine and it isn't looking the greatest either. I'm looking for suggestions too.

no1jan 05-11-2010 04:16 AM

I bought one and haven't used it yet. I am also interested in the answer.

So far crmanina idea of scrap material sounds good. I will try that unless I hear better. Thanks crmanina.

dkabasketlady 05-11-2010 04:20 AM

Mine doesn't look so great either! I never thought about it before now! Maybe the manufacturer should be made aware of this, I'm sure we're not the only ones having issues with it! I'll definitely use the scrap fabric onmine from now on, but we shouldn't have to resort to this, should we?

QBeth 05-11-2010 05:27 AM

The scrap fabric sounds good but what do you do if you want to use the lines? I wonder if there is a way to get a large enough piece of that teflon pressing sheet stuff to stitch an "ironing" board cover for it where you'd still be able to see the lines somewhat??

Janis 05-11-2010 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
The scrap fabric sounds good but what do you do if you want to use the lines? I wonder if there is a way to get a large enough piece of that teflon pressing sheet stuff to stitch an "ironing" board cover for it where you'd still be able to see the lines somewhat??

I thought of making a cover for it, but I'm always flipping it over and using the cutting side. I love having the convience of both sides by my sewing machine. I had thought of using pins and pinning something to the pressing side. I'd also thought of ironing on some interfacing on that side. If it is thin, one could see the lines through it. I'm still wanting other suggestions before I do it. It sounds as if I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll definately keep the grungy one by my machine for the daily use, but will try to keep the other one clean for classes, etc, at least for now.

Quilter7x 05-11-2010 06:10 AM

Mine doesn't look good either but it works. I don't normally use the lines on it since there's always a cutting board around.