Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cut Plaids Square?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cut-plaids-square-t245376.html)

Gayle's Quilts 04-18-2014 07:19 AM

Cut Plaids Square??

I have a friend asking for a table runner done with a plaid strip down both sides of a plain fabric. I am not crazy about working with plaids. I am have some trouble with some, I don't think they are true to being made straight, so if I try to cut to get a straight looking square, doesn't look straight next to another. My question is it better to pre was my fabric before I cut out my blocks?? OR will it not help?
Thanks Gayle

ManiacQuilter2 04-18-2014 07:29 AM

I NEVER understood WHY plaids can't be printed on the straight of grain. We put a man on the moon decades ago. I think it looks so sloppy when the plaid does not line up. Sometimes there is NOTHING that can be but try to cut it as close as you can. I don't think washing will help.

MaryMo 04-18-2014 07:30 AM

I have had the same concerns in working with plaids. I always prewash. I have discovered that I find my work more pleasing to me if I use the diagonal pattern of plaids ... don't have to match plaids, don't have to worry about straight lines and do enjoy the effect on surrounding fabrics and the pattern of the block. just my thoughts on the subject ......

Gayle's Quilts 04-18-2014 07:31 AM

Thanks ManiacQuilter2, That is what I figured.

Cogito 04-18-2014 07:42 AM

I agree with marymo. I usually cut them on the diagonal. You will get a bit more of a scrappy look potentially but you could drive yourself nuts trying to line up those lines!

Billi 04-18-2014 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 6681328)
I have had the same concerns in working with plaids. I always prewash. I have discovered that I find my work more pleasing to me if I use the diagonal pattern of plaids ... don't have to match plaids, don't have to worry about straight lines and do enjoy the effect on surrounding fabrics and the pattern of the block. just my thoughts on the subject ......

I also tend to avoid paids now I won't. Taking the stress out of using a plaid. Thanks for the tip MaryMo.

AngeliaNR 04-18-2014 07:57 AM

I usually cut plaids with scissors, one piece at a time, following the line of the plaid. It may be off from the straight of grain, but it looks so much better.

Gramie bj 04-18-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6681367)
I usually cut plaids with scissors, one piece at a time, following the line of the plaid. It may be off from the straight of grain, but it looks so much better.

I agree, I also heavily starch before cutting.

luana 04-18-2014 08:19 AM

MaryMo, you are a genius! I learn something new every day on this board.

Doggramma 04-18-2014 08:35 AM

I do the same as ANGELIANR, one piece at a time. It also drives me nuts when dots in a line are not on the straight of grain. Nuts.