Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cut Twice, Measure Once (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cut-twice-measure-once-t264314.html)

bearisgray 04-22-2015 03:57 AM

I find that I have to remember more when using a Creative Grids ruler.

ManiacQuilter2 04-22-2015 04:25 AM

It is an old carpenter saying. It is measure twice, cut once! :) I do use it all the time in quilting and have cut down on many mistakes I use to make.

Onebyone 04-22-2015 05:00 AM

I know I have paid for my Go by having less cutting mistakes for the scrap box. I have the 6 1/2" inch strip die and it's perfect for borders. Each one straight as a board. I rarely cut with a ruler and cutter anymore for basic cuts.

Evie 04-22-2015 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7172904)
It is an old carpenter saying. It is measure twice, cut once! :) I do use it all the time in quilting and have cut down on many mistakes I use to make.

True, but first you have to have the correct measure!

lynnie 04-22-2015 08:53 AM

even with ruler, I can't cut straight. I thought I was the only one. I see I have company now.

auntnana 04-22-2015 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7173206)
even with ruler, I can't cut straight. I thought I was the only one. I see I have company now.

Especially me! To this day my Mother still says I couldn't draw or cut a straight line if my life depended upon it. I don't argue. It's true.

My sweetie is not allowed in the room when I cut because the overly obsessive perfectionist of an engineer in him tried to correct me one time. Wanted to show me how to cut a straight line correctly. It did not go over well. Things were said, and thrown. I have just accepted the fact that there are some who are meant to cut straight lines and those of us who are grateful when it is 'close enough'.

audsgirl 04-22-2015 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7173206)

I'm with you, Lynnie. And as DottieMo says, I wish I knew who was moving the ruler as I cut. Maybe my sewing room is haunted!

Leslie

jeanharville 04-22-2015 06:19 PM

I guess misery loves company because I feel relieved that I'm not alone. I try so hard to get it right only to find out it's off. I blame it on dyslexia. :)

AudreyB 04-22-2015 08:55 PM

Thank you all for your sympathies. (Though some of you missed my sarcasm). I know to measure twice and cut once. I had intended to cut a tee shirt 14" wide and 16" tall and got it reversed. Instead of tall and skinny it is short and fat. Oh well, I can (and did) fix it. Just a tad frustrated with myself.

I use the InvisiGrip on the back of my rulers and it helps reduce the slippage. Maybe that hint will help someone else.

twinkie 04-23-2015 02:45 AM

I definitely agree.

Originally Posted by audsgirl (Post 7172735)
I know I'd enjoy quilting a lot more if I could only cut straight.

Leslie