Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Binding Strips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-binding-strips-t235561.html)

auntpiggylpn 11-26-2013 02:40 PM

I have the Go Strip dies and the June Tailor Shape cut ruler. I rarely use my Go! The June Tailor ruler is so much more convenient and it really gets a workout in my sewing room!!!

BellaBoo 11-26-2013 02:42 PM

The June Taylor strip cutter I sometimes get the V in my strips, even when I fussy fold just right. I use it to cut wide widths just fine. I use my Go and have every size strip die for it. The easiest way for binding is to rip lengthwise. I like to buy the 108" backing and rip it into long strips. You'll get lots of strings ripping but those don't bother me.

QuiltE 11-26-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch (Post 6425807)
I have been cutting strips to make binding using my ruler and rotary cutter. I know there has to be and easier, quicker, more precise way to cut these strips.....any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

What is the problem you are having in doing it this way?

Maybe I am the odd one out here ......... when I have my fabric properly pressed and folded I can cut my binding quite quickly, and with precision, without any problems. So, perhaps explain where your problem is?

Misty's Mom 11-26-2013 04:39 PM

I love my GO strip cutter. Wouldn't use anything else.

mandyrose 11-26-2013 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6425950)
The June Taylor strip cutter I sometimes get the V in my strips, even when I fussy fold just right. I use it to cut wide widths just fine. I use my Go and have every size strip die for it. The easiest way for binding is to rip lengthwise. I like to buy the 108" backing and rip it into long strips. You'll get lots of strings ripping but those don't bother me.

I do to bellaboo I don't know what the.... H I do wrong no matter how I fold and refold

franc36 11-26-2013 05:33 PM

I have 3 different June Taylor strip cutters. Guess I am lucky. All of my strips are straight and the correct size. The June Taylor strip cutters have been a time saver for me. Hardly a day goes by that I am not using one of them. Even with a discount, they were expensive; but when I look at the time I save and the accuracy I achieve, those strip cutters have more than paid for themselves.

quiltsRfun 11-26-2013 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6425950)

When pressing I match my selvedges as closely as possible. I use the fold edge to square up my fabric. Then fold again, carefully matching the cut (squared) edge. I also square up again after several cuts.

nvb50 11-26-2013 06:05 PM

I use the Go cutter

cizzors 11-26-2013 06:21 PM

Cutting mat, 24" ruler and rotary

Sewnoma 11-26-2013 06:36 PM

I'm another June Tailor fan. I have the strip cutter and a couple smaller ones. Also great for converting a pile of scraps into piece-able pieces!