Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Corners on Rag Quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-corners-rag-quilts-t175031.html)

barbrdunn 01-09-2012 01:37 PM

Cutting Corners on Rag Quilts?

I have read though previous postings and have not read anything about cutting the corners when doing rag quilts. I just got the Accuquilt Go and am using the 8 1/2 inch rag die. What a wonderful tool! But the fringe is longer than I usually cut and I am wondering how it will look with the little square left as it is. Does it get lost after fringing? Or do you cut the corners out, either before or after you sew the squares together? I have my squares cut and trying to make a decision as to what to do.

deemail 01-09-2012 01:41 PM

i cut the corners out, you have 4 blocks coming together, they create a problem...

auntpiggylpn 01-09-2012 03:42 PM

I did a rag quilt using the Accuquilt die also and I didn't cut the corners out. I didn't have any problems sewing the blocks together.

nativetexan 01-09-2012 04:40 PM

wait, a rag quilt? corners don't have to be cut. now if it were fleece and you were making 4 to 6 inch long fringe, you would cut the corners out the size of the fringe. four inch squares or six inch squares.
oh OK, i don't know anything about accucut machines.

barbrdunn 01-09-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 4859066)
I did a rag quilt using the Accuquilt die also and I didn't cut the corners out. I didn't have any problems sewing the blocks together.

I have not had any problems sewing them together, but was wondering about how they look after washing. If the square corners looked different from the 3/4 inch fringe, or if they just blended in.

dkn37 01-09-2012 06:24 PM

I have made a few rag quilts with the Go, and I don't clip the corners - after you wash it, you don't notice them !

QandE2010 01-09-2012 07:38 PM

They just become part of the "Fluff". Good luck & be sure to share pics.

romanojg 01-10-2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by barbrdunn (Post 4859500)
I have not had any problems sewing them together, but was wondering about how they look after washing. If the square corners looked different from the 3/4 inch fringe, or if they just blended in.

There is no problem sewing them together and I think the visual preference would be up to the person making it. If you are ok with the corners leave them in if not cut them out. No one wrong or right way on this.

Shankquilt 01-10-2012 10:31 AM

The instructions I got with my Accuquilt Studio is to cut the corners into strips after it is sew together and before you wash it. That's what I did and they all blend together. I only made two cuts in each square.

barbrdunn 01-12-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shankquilt (Post 4861591)
The instructions I got with my Accuquilt Studio is to cut the corners into strips after it is sew together and before you wash it. That's what I did and they all blend together. I only made two cuts in each square.

Thanks for the tip, I guess I should have read my directions. I did end up cutting the corners and it looks much better than it did before I cut them. I washed it first and did not like the way the corner squares looked. They were a little too bulky. Thanks to all for the suggestions.