Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting a cutting mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-cutting-mat-t136471.html)

Kitsie 07-09-2011 08:54 PM

I just used an old pair of scissors. Garden clippers might work, too. Find my bit very handy!

Cobaltjars, don't we all wish it would! There have been many posts on this and so far none have been very successful, darn it!

jean1941 07-09-2011 09:52 PM

Maybe a large paper cutter might work

jean1941 07-09-2011 09:53 PM

Let us know how this turns out because I have one that I need to cut down to smaller size also

ScubaK 07-09-2011 11:25 PM

I had the same situation and used a tile/vinyl knife (with the hooked blade) to score the mat and then worked it a few times to get it cut. Just like cutting vinyl flooring.
K

ckcowl 07-10-2011 02:27 AM

my big 39"x60" mat was worn out- i used heavy duty kitchen shears to cut mine into usable pieces.

PrettyCurious 07-10-2011 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
I had the same situation and used a tile/vinyl knife (with the hooked blade) to score the mat and then worked it a few times to get it cut. Just like cutting vinyl flooring.
K

Pretty close to what I did. I had to cut the edges off a new one to make it fit the drafting board I was planning on using with it. I used a plain ol utility knife.

QuiltnNan 07-10-2011 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
Don't know how thick your cutting board is but have you tryed tin snips?

that was my first thought, too

oldswimmer 07-10-2011 05:10 AM

I know there are people out there that have cut their worn out mats to cover and use as bag bottoms, etc. Hopefully they will share what they know...hehehe

PaperPrincess 07-10-2011 05:52 AM

I used tin snips.

eparys 07-10-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
This may seem a little strange, but I have a cutting mat that has warped a little and considering it's age, I would warp too. It is a 17x23, so I am trying to get a 12 or 13 square mat from the corner that isn't warped.

My question is how can I salvedge a portion of this mat? I would like to make a smaller mat that I could use in small places for small squares. How do I cut it?? There must be some way.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

OK - BEFORE you cut it up - here is something I did. 17X23 should fit into your oven so try this - >

I had a huge one that was left in a hot car and it was not laying flat. When I took it out I tried everything. I finally did cut it up with a pair of heavy scissors so I could fit it onto a large cookie sheet, I laid another cookie sheet on top of it, put an Iron skillet on top of that on the middle rack of my oven. Turned the oven on to 250 and let it cook for 1.5 - 2 hr. Turned off the oven and let it sit overnight - the piece was perfectly flat in the morning. It was not as flexible as it had been but flat is better than wavy and I now have several usable smaller ones that I can take to classes etc and not use my replacement.