Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting hexigons? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-hexigons-t255366.html)

quiltingnd 10-16-2014 07:14 AM

cutting hexigons?

If I wanted to make epp hexigons (hope that's the right wording) out of scraps, how do you cut them out? Do you just use scissors and cut around the paper? Use a ruler of some sort? I feel really dumb asking but have never done anything like this.

scisyb220 10-16-2014 07:17 AM

Go to All People Quilt site for instructions or any of the quilting mags will also have links. You actually start with fabric slightly larger than the hexagon shape, as you have to have your seam allowance glued down onto the paper before the piecing. Good luck.

sandy l 10-16-2014 07:56 AM

You might also try Google. Type in Sue Daley and you should get a bunch of utubes showing how to EPP.

jeanne49 10-16-2014 08:00 AM

I use the hexie paper as a template and put several squares in a stack and cut around the template with scissors. I make lots of hexies this way. Now if I was using the Sue Daley way and gluing my fabric on the hexie form I would definitely trim them must neater, but I hand stitch my fabric on the form.

Tartan 10-16-2014 08:00 AM

If you want to use scraps, than tracing a template and then cutting out the hexagons with scissors or rotary cutter would be what I would do. If you know someone with a Go hexagon cutter that would let you cut them out, even better!

humbird 10-16-2014 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd (Post 6931065)
If I wanted to make epp hexigons (hope that's the right wording) out of scraps, how do you cut them out? Do you just use scissors and cut around the paper? Use a ruler of some sort? I feel really dumb asking but have never done anything like this.

I print out my paper hexies, and cut them out with scissors. I use mostly 1 inch hexies, so I cut the fabric in 2 1/2 inch strips. then into 2 1/2 inch squares. Pin the paper to the square, lope off the four corners, then baste. Of course if you are using larger or smaller hexies, would need to adjust the size for the fabric. Just make sure you have a good seam allowance with what ever size you are using. Good luck.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-16-2014 09:03 AM

I print the hexagons on the fabric and then cut. You can use Inklingo or just draw your hexies on a drawing program. That way you can have any size in the world.

quiltingnd 10-16-2014 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by humbird (Post 6931202)
I print out my paper hexies, and cut them out with scissors. I use mostly 1 inch hexies, so I cut the fabric in 2 1/2 inch strips. then into 2 1/2 inch squares. Pin the paper to the square, lope off the four corners, then baste. Of course if you are using larger or smaller hexies, would need to adjust the size for the fabric. Just make sure you have a good seam allowance with what ever size you are using. Good luck.

Thank you! That tells me exactly what I needed to know as far as cutting them. How do you print off the hexigon papers?

quiltingnd 10-16-2014 09:31 AM

Thank you for all the help! Ya'll are amazing!!!

ManiacQuilter2 10-16-2014 09:35 AM

I have an acrylic template that is the perfect size for cutting hexes for a for a 1" finished hexagon. I use the smallest Olfa rotary cutter which I think is 18 mm.