Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting improved - new flat surface (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-improved-new-flat-surface-t287904.html)

Stitchnripper 04-30-2017 02:00 PM

Cutting improved - new flat surface

I seem to remember a thread a while back about cutting mats and getting them clean, and blades wearing out, and now I can't find it, but, it did make me think that sometimes even with a fresh blade I was having trouble cutting on the table in my sewing room and the dining room table gave better results. Well, I remembered I had a great big piece of a side of an IKEA cabinet left over from the kitchen remodel. So I had Mr. Stitchnripper lug it up to the sewing room and I put it on top of the table I normally use (one of those white ones from Costco or Sam's) and put my cutting mat on top of that. Wow, what a difference. It doesn't "give" at all, very stable surface and I was able to square up my quilt in no time flat, with an old blade and one slice through!! So my takeaway message is that sometimes the middle of our tables give a little when we are cutting and the blade doesn't make the best of contact so we have to go over it multiple times. I'm pleased right now!!

bearisgray 04-30-2017 02:30 PM

An "aha" moment!

QuiltnNan 04-30-2017 03:04 PM

good tip

GEMRM 04-30-2017 03:59 PM

I have a very old oak desk that I use for my cutting table, and one area is a little lower than the other. If I cut in this area I sometimes have a problem... I know this logically, but sentimentally I'm still using the old desk...lol

Onebyone 04-30-2017 04:09 PM

A proper cutting surface is a necessity. If you use old or new it has to be even and sturdy.

JustAbitCrazy 04-30-2017 05:58 PM

I sometimes like to cut ontop of my ironing board, which also has a dip in the center, so I glued a cutting mat to one of those half inch thick white plastic cutting boards. They were almost exactly the same size. Now that mat is really portable and works anywhere I want to use it even ontop of my ironing board. :) Another problem with a wavy cutting surface is that you will get inaccurate cuts.

Doggramma 05-01-2017 06:25 PM

It's amazing how something like that makes things easier. Thanks for sharing

vlrigdon 05-02-2017 06:27 AM

WOW! I read this board every day, learn and admire - but LOVE this tip! I'm cutting on one of those white plastic tables and I bet this is my issue! Multiple swipes, new blades needed too often. When I bring my mat and cut on the kitchen island, I do enjoy it more - now I know why.

JanieH 05-02-2017 09:47 AM

This thread got me to thinking (always a good thing!) Whenever I cut on my granite kitchen counter top I get good, clean cuts but when I cut on my cutting table I always seem to have problems.

So I got out a big level and did some investigating - sure enough, my cutting table top is not completely level; there is a dip in the middle. I am pondering what to do about it but it is nice to know that for once it was not me that was the problem.

cathyvv 05-02-2017 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a craft table with two large leaves that open out from a center cabinet. The leaves are supported by wheeled pull out vertical panels that put a swing out support on a diagonal from next to the center cabinet to the outer edge of a leaf. I used it for a long time.

After a while, no matter how careful I was with cutting, there was always an unwanted curve in my cut fabric. So I finally stood back and evaluated the table. I noticed that each leaf was curved downward from where the support was on the leaf to the edge of the leaf. After examining my cutting board, I saw that it was no longer flat. It conformed to the curve of the leaf.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572440[/ATTACH]

The craft table is now used (leafs down) as a coffee station in the kitchen. Half of the dining room table is now my cutting table, new mats were purchased, and I lucked into a used Accuquilt Studio.

My quilts are straighter because my cutting is better. Purchasing dies for the Accuquilt cost me a small fortune on sale, but they are worth every cent paid for them.