Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting individual HST and QST? Tips and tricks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-individual-hst-qst-tips-tricks-t234237.html)

CrazyQuiltBunny 11-07-2013 01:44 PM

Cutting individual HST and QST? Tips and tricks?

Recently I've been cutting squares out of many stash fabrics using Omnigrid square rulers of various sizes. I'm a newbie and want to make some easy four patch tops.

Some of the scraps from that would make triangles so I bought a Fons & Porter triangle ruler. But after looking online I kept running into instructions saying that the bias side of the triangle might stretch during cutting and sewing. And how most people make them by sewing two squares together then cutting.

Is it impossible to use my new triangle ruler in the way I originally hoped?

Tartan 11-07-2013 01:50 PM

My favourite way to do 4 patches is the way Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt co. does it in her new Jacob's Ladder video on youtube. A lot of the quick and easy ways work only with pieces of fabric and not scraps.

PaperPrincess 11-07-2013 02:07 PM

There are a zillion ways to make HST. Some have bias edges, some don't, some you cut before you sew, some after. The nice thing is that you can try different methods and then use the one(s) that work best for you and the particular project you are working on.
If you starch your fabric, then handle gently, you should not have a problem with the bias edges.

MadQuilter 11-07-2013 02:41 PM

I prefer the 2 square overlay method. I generally draw the sewing line on each side of the center line. My squares start oversized (finished size + 1") and then I cut them down. It is a bit more work but worth it for me. I do QSTs the same way. I believe I cut my squares finished size + 1 1/2 (or even a little bigger).

Some ladies at a retreat I went to, had a ruler that allowed them to trim the HST when it was folded, so they only did one cut. I believe it was a Bonnie Hunter ruler but am not sure.

Jan in VA 11-07-2013 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a tute for you.

Jan in VA

AliKat 11-07-2013 09:00 PM

It all depends on how many HSTs or QSTs I want. For just to collect I save like sized squared together. For a project that only needs a few then I make them as I go. For a whole lot I use something like Thangles.

I dislike cutting scraps into triangles. I know I won't be taking care of them correctly. I don't want anything starched just waiting to be used. I used to live in climates where bugs were attracted to such things.

Becky Crafts 11-08-2013 05:28 AM

I start the fabrics before cutting anything with bias edges and it works well for me. I go fairly heavy on the starch, then when I'm done, it washes out. There's lots of things to try, but this is easier for me.

Donnamarie 11-08-2013 06:46 AM

I would suggest that you don't cut all your fabric into squares. Once you decide on a quilt you are making, you might be able to sew strips together and then cut them apart so you would have a pair (or more if sewing more strips together). It could make your sewing much faster and more accurate. Also, there is a program called Triangulations (~$30) which is sold on a CD. If making HST, you print out the size you need (from the disk) and paper piece the HST, which come out perfect every time. Good luck!

ManiacQuilter2 11-08-2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat (Post 6393241)
It all depends on how many HSTs or QSTs I want. For just to collect I save like sized squared together. For a project that only needs a few then I make them as I go. For a whole lot I use something like Thangles.

I dislike cutting scraps into triangles. I know I won't be taking care of them correctly. I don't want anything starched just waiting to be used. I used to live in climates where bugs were attracted to such things.

I AGREE with AliKat. If I am doing a scrappy quilt, I love Thangles. I do make the strip a size bigger because as MadQuilter said I like to make mine a little bit bigger, press and then trim for accuracy. You just have to try different ways of doing things and then when you find what works for you, then HAVE FUN !!

CrazyQuiltBunny 11-08-2013 08:57 AM

Well, right now I'm just using the fabric I've acquired here and there - trying to be a "recovering hoarder" so it's odds and ends and scrappy. But in good shape, just that some pieces are small and I'd rather see them go into a scrappy quilt than toss them.

If starching and careful cutting can be okay, I feel loads better! :thumbup: There is that one product, I forget the name but it's a lavender colored liquid that's like a synthetic starch. Maybe I'll grab a bottle of that to try; I've heard lots of gals say they like the stuff.