Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-mats-t199111.html)

LadyElisabeth 08-31-2012 05:56 PM

I use the 2 piece OLFA self-healing mat. To get the imbedded "lines" out of the self-healing mats, use an ART GUM eraser

MattieMae 08-31-2012 06:56 PM

My favorite is a 24" x 36" green Olfa. I also have 18" x 24" and 12" x 18" grey/blue reversible Gingher mats which I don't like the feel when cutting. The line's color doesn't matter to me since I don't pay attention to them, although I do appreciate the numbers.

Daffy Daphne 08-31-2012 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 5481810)
I ordered an Omnigrid mat and pretty quickly warped it :(. So when I went looking for a new mat I ended up ordering an Alvin brand. I love it. It is much thicker than the Olfa/Omnigrid mats and looks about the same. It cost me 18.00 for the 18x24 size. I have also use MegaMat, and I am much more impressed with the Alvin. Gina

Gina, I love my Alvin mat too, which I ordered because there was one 30 inches wide (42 inches long) that fits my table. I've had it about a year and a half and it has no visible cutting lines, and although it's white my blades seem to stay sharp just as long. Mine came from the Hayneedle website and they didn't charge any S/H.

CoyoteQuilts 09-01-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5479664)
there are huge differences in mats- and if using a rotory cutter a *self-healing* mat is a must...otherwise you will get deep (grooves) cuts in the mat fairly quickly and be replacing it. a self healing mat will last a long time as long as you take care of it- a mat that is not self healing will not last very long-will have to be replaced frequently if you use it alot. as for color/brand- buy the one that has lines you can see the best- some people like the gray ones- some like the green ones- and some like white ones- it's up to you what works best for you. you get what you pay for.....

I have to disagree with that statement. I started quilting over 15 years ago and bought a Dritz white with brown lines mat. I am still using it. I don't use the lines on any mat, I use the line on my rulers. I have see the self healing mats that are used over and over in the same spots at LQS that are cut straight through the mat. So like everything else in quilting it is personal preferance...

IndigoQuilter 09-01-2012 12:01 PM

I like the previous poster stated, use the lines of the ruler, not the mat. I have a Fiskars that is 4 years old and looks new. I will try the Art Gum erasers for the fuzzies.

GrandmaNewt 09-01-2012 12:16 PM

I have always used the olfa self healing mats. my 18X24 one is 15 years old. It does show some signs of wear, but still works great. I recently bought a 24x36 mat and expect it to last just as long. Someone mentioned art gum erasers to clean out the fuzzies.... thats what I do too. You can also wash your mat if needed in soapy water with a soft brush. I always store my mats flat so that they don't warp.

gollytwo 09-01-2012 12:17 PM

I mainly use my small rotating 7" square Fiskars. I get them for about $8 at Joann's with a coupon and replace as soon as they dull a little.
But I also have the very large Olfa permanently on my cutting table. It's been in use for about 20 yrs, and it still works just fine.