Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting out directional border fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-out-directional-border-fabric-t249904.html)

michelleoc 07-10-2014 03:22 PM

cutting out directional border fabric

What is the best way to cut fabrics that need to be "right side up" in the borders? The fabric needs to go across the top and bottom and up and down on the sides. I've tried to do this in the past and the cuts came out crooked. Thoughts for the directionally challenged?
Michelle

NJ Quilter 07-10-2014 04:03 PM

Just did this on the last quilt I made. I cut the sides from the length of fabric; top/bottom from WOF. Granted this was a baby quilt - although on the large side for that but the same principles should apply for larger quilts as well. I generally also only cut one border at a time. Put the first cut piece next to the correct/corresponding side/end then cut the next and so on. And each time I work with a directional fabric I ask myself 'why did I pick THIS fabric for this?'.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

bearisgray 07-10-2014 04:14 PM

I find a line(s) on the print to cut on - and use those same lines for all four strips. You might need to stare at the fabric for a while to decide where to cut it. Remember to allow for seam allowances.

I follow the print of the fabric and totally ignore grain lines when I am cutting a printed stripe. (which causes me great pain when the design is printed off-grain)

Tartan 07-10-2014 04:16 PM

Is it printed straight? Sometimes it is impossible to keep the objects running straight even if cut straight for borders. If the WOF is not wide enough to do the top and bottom you will have to piece it or add a design element into the border.

Geri B 07-10-2014 04:25 PM

..and don't forget to miter the corners..

dunster 07-10-2014 04:31 PM

Sometimes you can just re-think what it means to be right-side-up. If the borders all point in, or out, that often looks great, and you don't have to struggle with cutting some lengthwise and some from WOF. Or you may want the top and bottom borders to be right-side-up when you stand at the foot of the bed, but the sides to be right-side-up when you stand at the sides of the bed, so again you don't have to cut some lengthwise and some from WOF.

Terri D. 07-10-2014 04:36 PM

Chances are the print doesn't exactly follow the grain line of the fabric, in which case you will be cutting it on print/off grain in order to position the print the way you want in the border's width. Using a chalk marker like the one Clover makes, I'd first take a ruler and mark all the way from top to bottom to get a sense of where you will end up cutting.

The other consideration is whether you will need to cut parallel to the selvage or across the width of fabric. I've found it much easier to not piece borders with directional fabric, but understand this isn't always possible.

ManiacQuilter2 07-11-2014 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6795100)
Just did this on the last quilt I made. I cut the sides from the length of fabric; top/bottom from WOF. Granted this was a baby quilt - although on the large side for that but the same principles should apply for larger quilts as well. I generally also only cut one border at a time. Put the first cut piece next to the correct/corresponding side/end then cut the next and so on. And each time I work with a directional fabric I ask myself 'why did I pick THIS fabric for this?'

I did this once and that was the last time. NJ quilter has it right on. That is the way I did but what a waste of a chunk of fabric if doing a large quilt. I precut my fabric squares with the fabric next to the side borders. You have to be so carefully and mark things out and check them again before cutting.

crashnquilt 07-11-2014 06:26 AM

Go to www.jinnybeyer.com Look at her videos, she has a video about working with border prints

michelleoc 07-11-2014 04:13 PM

Thanks for all your advice. Yes, I am asking "why did I choose this fabric!?!?!"