Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting question please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-question-please-t115616.html)

justlooking 04-13-2011 02:41 AM

I cut my strips then cut off the selevage.

pieces 04-13-2011 03:59 AM

I don't trim my salvedges until I start cutting out my strips/pieces needed for the quilt. I trim them off the strips when I start cutting the squares/pieces.

watterstide 04-13-2011 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I cut my strips, then cut off selvedges as I cut pieces for my blocks.

me too

Sharonsews 04-13-2011 06:19 AM

I cut off selvages before I cut fabric. I save the selvages for a selvage only project I want to make, so I have to save a while to have enough selvages. I saw a selvage quilt a friend made at retreat and it was so cute! I want to try a small project first to see if I like it.

Johanna Fritz 04-13-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sassylass

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I cut my strips, then cut off selvedges as I cut pieces for my blocks.

I do it the same way....
sass

Ditto for me to above.

FroggyinTexas 04-13-2011 06:38 AM

When I saw members of the board using two spellings for selvedge/selvage, I had to know which was correct and discovered that one is the British spelling and the other the American spelling. No better place than Wikipedia to find out more, so here is what I discovered. Based on this information and what has worked in the past for me, I will continue to leave the selvedge/selvage on after I have cut strips until I get ready to sew.
froggyintexas

The selvage (US English) or selvedge (British English) is the term for the self-finished edges of fabric. The selvages keep the fabric from unraveling or fraying.[1][2] The selvages are a result of how the fabric is created. In woven fabric, selvages are the edges that run parallel to the warp (the longitudinal threads that run the entire length of the fabric), and are created by the weft thread looping back at the end of each row. In knitted fabrics, selvages are the unfinished yet structurally sound edges that were neither cast on nor bound off.[3][4] Historically, the term selvage applied only to loom woven fabric, though now can be applied to flat-knitted fabric.

The terms selvage and selvedge are a corruption of "self-edge", and have been in use since the 16th century

Holice 04-13-2011 06:59 AM

My personal rule is not to cut until you need to. Saves time.

SueSew 04-13-2011 07:07 AM

I cut the selvage first, when I am ready to straighten the fabric, before I cut pieces. I think it lies flatter and neater because the selvage is sometimes woven tighter than the fabric.

Good idea to save the piece with mfg data! I will put it with the big binder I am going to make with all my quilt records in it.

Rose Bagwell 04-13-2011 07:08 AM

I do both, cut and not cut, depending on what I am doing or feel at the time.

Dolly's sister 04-13-2011 07:17 AM

I use to cut mine off as I cut the fabric, but will now cut them off before, so that I can use the selvage strips for mug rugs like was posted on this site. I thought the litle "moda" and other fabric info from the selvage was so cute on the mug rugs.