Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-question-t23883.html)

SulaBug 08-07-2009 10:36 PM

I am also right handed & cut with
the bulk of my fabric on the right!!
I didn't realize you could do it any
different. I always use my ruler for
a guide with cutting.
:D :D :D :D :D

CajunQuilter2 08-08-2009 04:05 AM

I am left handed but I cut with either hand or on either side & the bulk of my fabric on whichever side I am cutting from. It just depends on what I am doing at the time. I used to use the mat as my guide but then I started using my ruler and noticed that my pieces were more accurate. For some reason it just never occured to me that the mat lines might be off.

renee765 08-08-2009 04:37 AM

I've taken a couple quilting classes with the same instructor, and she's pretty adamant about never using the mat lines for accurate cutting. I just wish my precision was such that it mattered!

Renee

bearpaw 08-08-2009 04:44 AM

I'm right handed, the bulk of my fabric is to the right as well. I really don't use the mat line, just the ruler lines.

sandpat 08-08-2009 05:13 AM

Right handed....cut with the bulk to the right...and always use the SAME ruler to measure (per quilt)...they all vary. So whether you use the mat or a ruler...just be sure you use the same thing throughout and you should be fine.

katier825 08-08-2009 05:49 AM

After I trim to square off the edge, I flip it around so the bulk of fabric is to my right. I use the ruler for measuring. I do use the mat lines if I have to cut something larger than the ruler's width.

I would think if you ONLY used the mat's lines, after a time the lines would disappear and you'd have numerous grooves that your cutter could end up in and distort your cut.

Iluv2quilt 08-08-2009 06:16 AM

I cut from the right using my right hand when using my mat. When I use my ruler I cut from the left using my right hand (with the material under the ruler).

bearisgray 08-08-2009 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Right handed....cut with the bulk to the right...and always use the SAME ruler to measure (per quilt)...they all vary. So whether you use the mat or a ruler...just be sure you use the same thing throughout and you should be fine.

Just to verify that - put some of your rulers on top of each other and see if the lines match up - sometimes they do - sometimes they don't

Kind of makes one wonder which one - if any - to trust

Marguerite 08-08-2009 07:29 AM

I too start cutting from the left because I am right handed. I think it is because the measured fabric is held under the ruler and is kept more accurate. When you cut from the right as a right hander, the measured fabric is to the right of the ruler or you're crossing over your body to cut the fabric. I use the rulers measurement because when I square up the fabric by folding and cutting, I know it's accurate.

amandasgramma 08-08-2009 07:36 AM

I'm right handed. If the piece I need to cut off is larger than my ruler width, I cut with the bulk to the left. If it's narrower, I'll switch and put the bulk to the right. I always cut with my rotary cutter on the right side of the ruler.