Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting or starting phobia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-starting-phobia-t187565.html)

pinecone 04-29-2012 09:19 AM

Mine has to do more with the economy. I hate to just use it up, with DH out of work and all. That said, I have enough for several lifetimes. I can see so many possibilities that I can't pick the "best" one. *sigh*

piney

QuiltNama 04-29-2012 09:30 AM

I have a sister that has trouble cutting or using her larger pieces of fabric. She asked me how I was able to dig into my stash and use what was there. I pick my favorite pieces and do one of two things, make a quilt so that when I use it can enjoy the fabric more that sitting in my stash or cut the piece into smaller pieces to use in several scrap quilts. Once the fabric is cut into smaller workable pieces, it seems to be easier to use.

Rose L 04-29-2012 09:42 AM

This doesn't effect me anymore. I don't really have any fabric that I can't make myself cut into, I'd much rather see it all made into something useful. There was a time however, back in the 80's or so when I first started to really make a lot of quilts that I procrastinated in cutting fabric. It was more because of the good money I had spent on the fabric than anything else...I was terrified I would cut it wrong and the fabric would be wasted. I got over it quickly enough once I showed myself that I was able to cut straight, LOL!

MaryMo 04-29-2012 09:57 AM

Like you, it's a whole lot easier procuring fabric than cutting it but with practice and participating in QB swaps, it is getting easier to work on projects. The finished projects here inspire me. Thanks for initiating and participating in this thread.

pdcakm 04-29-2012 09:58 AM

i completely understand your hesitation charity-crafter. i also stare at and touch my fabric unable to decide. i used to think the problem was that i did not have enough of any one thing so i started buying larger quantities. now i just have more and still have trouble deciding.

it is beginning to come to my little brain that i must use what i have. the light is starting to dawn that every time i go to the shops there is more fabric that i just love. so, even if i use what i have at home i will still find other stuff to buy. it isn't easy yet to just pick a fabric and sew, but it is getting better since i came to this realization.

i try to apply the same logic (ha-ha) to shopping. i can now actually walk away from some of the most beautiful fabrics because there will be others later. well, it works until there is a half off sale. yeah!

RDM 04-29-2012 10:05 AM

I could have written your post-yes something stops me from using up stash, like it's money in the bank until it's cut--but recognized that and pushing past it by every month I cut fabrics for a planned quilt. I'm finding the sewing process and finished quilt make me happier than a wall of fabric. Also this way if any fabric shortage I can still find it in stores.

Dotha 04-29-2012 10:15 AM

Oh yes, I have this problem big time. I don't have trouble if I go into a store with a certain pattern and I buy the fabric for it. I can't wait to get home and start cutting. Have a lot of trouble finishing because then I see something else I want to start. As for digging into my stash, yes, I have trouble getting in there for all the same reasons that you mentioned. If it is a small piece, there is not enough. If it is a big piece, I don't want to cut into it because I might need "all of it" later which I won't really.

Yesterday at shop hop I bought some pieces that I really liked as well as some patterns. Now that i am home and really have buyers remorse. I am also thinking "what the heck am I going to do with these pieces because I did not buy any cordinates." I did not buy any cordinates because I don't know what I am going to do with the pieces. And it is true, every shop I went to I would find something better. On the plus side, I did NOT buy any FQ's. I am reorganizing my sewing room/storage. I have way too many fat quarters and they are hard to store. Besides that, with a fat quarter there is never enough to do very much. Oh, woe are we!

Unlike you, though, I don't do anything with the crumbs except save them also. I am pathetic. And speaking of paralyzed, I have a prom dress to remake. I have it ripped out but can't decide where to start to make it 4 inches smaller. YIKES...sequins, tulle and satin. Give me cotton and a quilt to make anyday! Granddaughter says, "You can do it, Nana" so I MUST!!

When ever you get an answer to how to beat the above problem, let me know. Meanwhile (after I finish the prom dress) I will continue to pet, fold and caress those big pieces and ones too small. I can't believe how much most of us have in common.

DeneK 04-29-2012 11:50 AM

I have the same problem.... Sometimes I am better and sometimes worse... My favorite time is after I have started cutting and sewing. I hate the start (yikes what if I cut this wrong or just have the combination as I get started) and hate the finish (quilting is not my strong suit, but I am trying to learn). I had my Handi Quilter frame loaded for almost 2 weeks before I could push myself to begin stitching. Just finished it today and pulled from the frame. Quilting sure isn't perfect, but at least now ready for finish.

charity-crafter 04-29-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by RDM (Post 5180057)
I could have written your post-yes something stops me from using up stash, like it's money in the bank until it's cut.....

Yes, this is it exactly. And it has so much potential until it's cut. Once it's cut then that pattern that I find tomorrow that would have been perfect isn't ...I know, it's convoluted thinking.

Sometimes I think that I shouldn't use it up, that I have to make it last-like there won't be more fabric sales if I use my stash up? I guess with fabric getting more expensive I dread the day I'll need to spend $6 and up for more.

Another problem I have is coordinating colors-I tend not to see all the different shades of a color and sometimes I'll just force myself to make something work and after I get a few blocks together I realize that it's not quite the right color. I finally bought a color wheel and keep it next to my stash to help. And I have a friend who has a good eye for color and I'll put my ideas together in a bag along the pattern and go visit her. Sometimes she'll pull out one of my fabrics and give something better from her stash.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this silliness.

cmrenno 04-29-2012 02:54 PM

I used to be like that till I went to a couple of "sales" where the family was selling off the lady's stash. I don't want to leave that for my family to do. I think that will be happier with finished quilts and I am having a great time making charity quilts for several organizations.