Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-table-t211019.html)

QuiltingMia 01-15-2013 07:03 AM

Cutting table

I am thinking about getting a cutting table for my sewing room. The room is not very big, so I would like something that is sturdy and can easily be folded when not in use. I would prefer to buy but if it is not too difficult, maybe! I can get DH to put make one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

quilter41 01-15-2013 07:59 AM

I bought a Kitchen cart and my mat fits perfectly and there is storage underneath. I believe I bought it at KMart

Kim T 01-15-2013 08:07 AM

I bought a used baby changing table and converted it into a cutting table. It is perfect. We put a board on the top and secured, covered the board with fabric and put a cutting a mat over it. It is really a good size and so much easier. The cutting mat we put on top is the extra large one.

cmw0829 01-15-2013 08:41 AM

I have the cutting table that they sell at Joann's. Two fold down flaps and it's on wheels. When folded down, it's 12" x 36" by 36" high. I often use mine with only one flap up and can stow it easily when not in use. I like a large space for cutting so it works for me. It's not the sturdiest thing in the world but it's a good solution for me. They often have them on sale.

Prism99 01-15-2013 09:29 AM

Whatever you get, you want the table to be right around belly button height. Too high or too low can make cutting not only uncomfortable, but also hard on the body.

ncsewer 01-15-2013 10:19 AM

We had an unused kitchen table. Hubby built a little box for it to sit on and to act as a riser and works great. Really sturdy, but doesn't fold down.

scrapinmema 01-15-2013 10:37 AM

I have an antique drop table that measures 48 x 25. We put bed risers under the legs and it is the perfect heigth for me. I am able to store a cart under the table that holds fabric and you can not see it. When we have large dinner parties or family reunions and need an extra tables we just move it out of the sewing room and into the dinning room it goes. At first I was afraid of ruining the top but with my large cutting mat always on top its protected.

Chasing Hawk 01-15-2013 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cmw0829 (Post 5787986)
I have the cutting table that they sell at Joann's. Two fold down flaps and it's on wheels. When folded down, it's 12" x 36" by 36" high. I often use mine with only one flap up and can stow it easily when not in use. I like a large space for cutting so it works for me. It's not the sturdiest thing in the world but it's a good solution for me. They often have them on sale.

I had this table. My husband used "L" or angled brackets to attach it to the wall. This made the table alot more stable to use. Then when we did the first of many redo's he made this one.

quiltstringz 01-15-2013 11:14 AM

The one from Joanns looks like a good deal but if you don't have any one who can stabilize it, its pretty wobbly in my opinion

jcrow 01-15-2013 11:58 AM

I like the idea of a fold down shelf from 'morelcabin', the first responder. If your husband is handy, golly dog, you could make it any size at all!! It looks like a perfect idea! It reminds me of the fold down ironing boards, which I would love to have one, but I have one of those big rectangular boards sitting on a long dresser, which I have all the drawers full of fabric.