Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting up fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-up-fabric-t62435.html)

np3 08-31-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by VickyS
I hate to cut up fabric if I am unsure of the piecing pattern (how the colors are going to turn out).

I found I need to take a picture of the pattern. Print it out. Grab some colored markers (to match color with the main color in the fabrics -tone wise) and color it up.

Do it a couple of ways and you'll see the design you want pop out. Then label which color is what and start cutting.

It really reduces the anxiety level, especially when the cost of the fabric is up there and there isn't enough fabric to make a bunch of mistakes.

Believe me, I've been there!!! One time I purchased enough for a queen quilt for a class at my local LQS - thinking the pattern would work out just fine - got to the first class, got the pattern, and hated it. I spent most of that class just coloring in the pattern until I got what I wanted. I wound up not finishing the quilt and getting rid of most of the material, after making a bunch of mistakes on the cut.

Yikes! Expensive class.

MadQuilter 08-31-2010 07:29 PM

I have experienced that problem and solved it in two ways:
1. I found the PERFECT pattern for the fabric and just needed to see the finished quilt. One quilt I used up EVERY bit of the fabric and had to be really careful when cutting.
2. I joined a Boomeran swap and cut the fabric up to send to my fellow Boomeran swappers. It was a real liberating experience.

Just remember, a piece of fabric that is folded and stored does not really serve the purpose of the quilt.

spinnergs 08-31-2010 07:33 PM

I like to use it on real wide borders so I can still enjoy it in large dozes.

SharonAnne 08-31-2010 08:45 PM

To cut or not to cut, that is the question. Been there already and I'm new at this.

vivientan 08-31-2010 09:35 PM

I agree totally it's really nerve wreaking and heart-breaking to be cutting up our favourite fabrics. But I guess I would do so if there are suitable projects for those fabrics. I love Japanese fabrics from Lecien. Bought lots of FQs from Lecien last year and wondering what to do with them. Hopefully a suitable project comes along.

lizzy 09-01-2010 03:12 AM

I have the same problem, but I have been that fabric lately as a quilt backing. Now some of my quilts are reversable and I love both sides.

Jim's Gem 09-01-2010 10:24 AM

Yes, I have some like that too. I just don't want to cut it up!!!

polejumper21 09-02-2010 06:19 PM

I love the ideas of using the "hard to cut up fabrics" as a border or a backing... I don't why I did not think of that ??!!!

scowlkat 09-02-2010 06:56 PM

I have trouble cutting any fabric - it is just so much fun to fondle and love it!

purplefiend 09-02-2010 07:01 PM

There are times you just have to give yourself permission to cut into the fabrics. That's what you bought them for!
I bought a beautiful purple and blue batik that I wanted to make a long sleeved blouse from and after 2 years of it sitting in the drawer; I finally got brave and made the blouse. I'm so glad I did. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it.
Sharon

Originally Posted by polejumper21
Hello everyone, I am fairly new to quilting and my BIG problem has been that when I find some fabric I LOVE, I do not want to cut it up !!! :roll: I want to use it but.....
Anyway I just was curious if anyone else had this problem :?: