Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Up Old Quilt Tops To Make New (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-up-old-quilt-tops-make-new-t312092.html)

tropit 08-11-2020 04:25 AM

Cutting Up Old Quilt Tops To Make New

Have you ever taken old quilt tops apart, or just cut them up to make a new quilt top? I have a couple of lap size quilt tops that frankly, I just don't like and don't want to pursue making quilts out of them. However, I do like some of the fabrics in them. I'm thinking of taking them apart, or even cutting them up, going right across the seams for a, "shattered glass/scrappy," effect in my new quilt.

~ C

bearisgray 08-11-2020 04:36 AM

I've taken quilt tops and blocks apart to salvage the fabric - if I like the fabric well enough to do that.

I would not cut up an item that has already been quilted.

Nor woud I try to salvage/rescue/rejuvenate/save a quilt that is threadbare.

Onebyone 08-11-2020 04:45 AM

I never thought not to. I have cut up a finished quilt because I didn't like. It made very pretty throw pillows. I cut up an old quilt I found at a yard sale to make Christmas stockings. One time I made a big queen size top and the colors did not work at all. I cut it up to make a smaller scrappy quilt.

SusieQOH 08-11-2020 04:50 AM

I have a couple of antique tops that I took apart to salvage the good fabrics to make another one. However, I'm concerned about the fabrics. They may not hold up. So that project is on hold.
I see no reason not to do whatever you want if the fabric is something you like.

Trudii 08-11-2020 05:00 AM

I took a queen sized quilt top once, that had sat in a box for ~10 years and I finally gave up on, and ripped it down to 4 baby quilts for donation. Amazing to not have it sitting in my closet anymore.

sewingpup 08-11-2020 05:08 AM

I have bought "on sale" quilt kits that were on sale because I really liked the fabric....and made something else out of it by either adding in my own stash fabric or making something smaller....depends on how good the sale price is before I do this...once it was 75% off for a queen quilt...yep...I went for it and it worked out fine. So....if you don't like it....and can reuse the fabric do so. I once did not like the blocks I was making, so stopped and used the fabric for something else.....as I like scrappy quilts...I can 99.9 percent of the time use up the fabric.

Iceblossom 08-11-2020 06:32 AM

I will buy tops from thrift stores and do what I will with them... sometimes I "harvest" them for their fabric. Other times I fix their issues. Sometimes I take them apart and rearrange them. I haven't yet cut up one, but I have started taking a bunch of orphan blocks that I intend to slice along a diagonal and re-do. It's funny, but I'm really looking/hoping to find a bunch of bad in some way 9-patches in particular.

Jordan 08-11-2020 08:03 AM

I bought a stuffed bear that someone had cut up an old quilt and made several stuffed animals. I love my bear as it has some batting sticking out and it looks so raggedy but I have never cut up a quilt.

rryder 08-11-2020 08:36 AM

I often do that if I've got a top that I don't like. I've cut the offending top into strips and inserted strips from other quilts in between the cut apart strips- which made an art quilt that is one of my favorites now. I've also cut tops into random squares and rectangles and then used those in other quilts. I do it so often that I now consider it part of my design process https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png.

I say, Go for it!

Rob

sewbizgirl 08-11-2020 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We get unfinished tops donated sometimes, in my charity quilting group. If they are bed sized we have been known to cut them apart to make two lap quilts out of one bigger quilt.

I bought an old quilt that had stars appliqued onto a white background. It was worn through in certain places only. I cut it up to make toy dogs out of it, and sold them at craft fairs.