Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting up scraps! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-up-scraps-t264455.html)

Mamaw322 04-25-2015 05:37 AM

Cutting up scraps!

I have a lot of scrap fabrics just sitting in containers. I feel like I am hoarding them because I don't want to cut them up! I keep thinking I will use them for something like bags, etc. argghhh! I am thinking of taking the plunge and cutting them into 5" squares. I keep telling myself, be brave, be brave...
am I irrational or do others have this attachment to their scraps?

DresiArnaz 04-25-2015 05:41 AM

I'm kind of like that

Don't want to cut them up until I have to

What if I cut them up and decide I want to do something other than however I cut them up?

Mariposa 04-25-2015 05:51 AM

I'm like that a bit. I still keep a few back, but have been cutting my scraps into usable sizes-for me-using Bonnie Hunter's method. Her site is: www.quiltville.com.

Lori S 04-25-2015 06:17 AM

Only once did I cut my scraps to a specific size before I picked my scrap pattern. I learned the hard way to pick my scrap pattern first then cut.

mike'sgirl 04-25-2015 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz (Post 7176295)
I'm kind of like that

Don't want to cut them up until I have to

What if I cut them up and decide I want to do something other than however I cut them up?

My thought process exactly. But a lady in my guild gave us a presentation on how she cuts her scraps, and it inspired me. I decided to go ahead and start cutting and it is a good feeling to get some of that mess organized.

Buckeye Rose 04-25-2015 06:29 AM

I had an entire large tote full of scrap pieces and orphan blocks....way too many and no coherent thought process concerning them....decided to do something with them.....the orphan blocks put all together in a pile for use in scrappy utility quilts, nothing organized, just sew them together adding strips if necessary....makes for a wild quilt top, but the kids and grandkids love em....started on the larger pieces of scraps first (anything under 1/2 yard) and cut 10" squares, then worked my way down, 8"-6"-5", then 2.5" and 1.5" strips.....anything left was tossed as too small for me to use....I think it took me several days, but I had a huge pile of squares in various sizes and lots of strips....lots to work with and I felt so much better....will never let my scraps get out of hand again!

Homespun 04-25-2015 06:32 AM

If you can't use them as they are...cut them! I do!

QuiltnNan 04-25-2015 07:31 AM

i cut some of mine for my leaders/enders project from Bonnie Hunter. but i'm like the OP in that i have attachments to my scraps, which seems crazy, but what if i need that particular blue, etc? LOL

ManiacQuilter2 04-25-2015 08:33 AM

Usually when they are so small, I throw them into the doggie bed pile to use as bedding.

Onebyone 04-25-2015 08:39 AM

Every now and then I get a bug to do something with my scraps. I press them and layer on a Go die to cut squares of all sizes. I have several bins full of cut squares. I'm just saving the scraps in a different form. It never ends.