Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This Daisy quilt is adorable. Is it made using applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/daisy-quilt-adorable-made-using-applique-t258797.html)

quiltingbuddy 12-27-2014 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 7023139)
I can't see that but the color would shadow through the petals on the one side. Maybe you have thought up a new way of making this quilt! LOL!

We were posting at the same time! How funny.

My favorite way to do this easy shaped applique is to buy the Knit fusible interfacing. It is soft and pliable. Pin the fabric shapes to the interfacing right sides together and sew. You don't have to cut out the interfacing shapes until after you sew all around. (my down and dirty fast method.) I sew it to the shape right sides together, carefully cut a "X" in the middle of the interfacing and then turn the shape right side out, then you use a non pointed object like a chop stick to smooth out all the edges of the petal. Then you cut away all of the interfacing except a quarter inch around the edges. That way when you iron it to the backing, it is much nicer to quilt later. Because there are only two layers of the top to go through. Make sense? I like to use a outline stitch to stitch it down. You can test out the stitch length until you find the width and length you like and that works well with the layers. Then off you go stitching it down on your block.

I've never heard of knit fusible interfacing. Who makes it? is it an actual knit (which can stretch) or what is the deal with it? Thanks.

Jackie Spencer 12-27-2014 02:17 PM

I would you a fusible, and the best one I have used is "Steam a Seam II lite, then use embroidery floss to do a button hole stitch by hand.

luvstoquilt301 12-27-2014 04:39 PM

That is really really pretty.

Geri B 12-28-2014 04:15 AM

Fusible non woven interfacing.....lite weight....it has little dots on the sticky side...at least mine does....works for me......EB does a lot of appliqué this way.......I like it better that just steam a seam or wonder under for "usable" quilted things......those raw edges are tucked under like in hand turned appliqué.....no raveling with wear.....

Geri B 12-28-2014 04:18 AM

I think the " original" pattern was just white/color reversal on each block......but as in any block....change is optional

solstice3 12-28-2014 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 7023110)
Here is one that a lady won a quilt show ribbon with...

Love your style and color

Pam Pottberg 12-28-2014 06:25 AM

I love it. I have 4 granddaughters I would love to make this for them.

AZ Jane 12-28-2014 06:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my version, but I did start with the backing, then looked for the fabric for the front. It was fun to make. And yes, it was machine appliqued. It was for a grand-daughter and I knew it would be washed often.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503922[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503923[/ATTACH]

Teacup 12-28-2014 10:16 AM

I loved this pattern when it was first posted several years and I like all its variations. So cheerful...might be just the right project for the end of January and looking forward to spring.

RedGarnet222 12-28-2014 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy (Post 7023223)
I've never heard of knit fusible interfacing. Who makes it? is it an actual knit (which can stretch) or what is the deal with it? Thanks.

I think Geri answered your question, all but the manufacturer, Pellon has a very nice one you buy off the bolt at most fabric stores. It is called non-woven interfacing, iron on. It is stable enough to use to make the applique piece, irons on so you don't have to pin it before stitching, but soft enough to make the finished block still soft enough when finished.

Years ago I saw an episode of sewing with nancy that utilized an unused man's sweater to cut it down for a child's size. You ironed on cut up strips where you were going to cut to stabilize the knit so you could cut it down to size before you sewed (serged) it into the kids size sweater. I have incorporated this product into many of my projects since then. It is a nice alternative to the woven interfacing.