Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dave Ramsey and unfinished projects (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dave-ramsey-unfinished-projects-t308466.html)

KalamaQuilts 12-07-2019 06:21 AM

Dave Ramsey and unfinished projects

not my idea, I saw it on facebook Quiltville Studio, but it is a good one.
Ramsey and many other personal finance organizers recommend taking your smallest debt, pouring your efforts into getting rid of it, then take the next smallest, do the same, and so on. Each time you roll to the next smallest you are adding what would have gone into the ones already paid off making the whole pile go faster.

The FB poster said she was going to take this idea, which worked so well for her finances and use it to tackle UFO's.
No flopping around between them all, just starting with whatever could be finished the quickest, digging in and doing it, then going on to the next smallest.

Thought this might give some Ramsey fans a little incentive or at least a fond smile :)

AprilM 12-07-2019 06:51 AM

Not a bad idea... thank you for sharing it - this could catch on! 😊

Jordan 12-07-2019 06:57 AM

Great idea-never had thought of all my UFO's getting done that way. I loved watching Dave Ramsey on TV. He always had great things to say that really made sense. Thanks for sharing

Onebyone 12-07-2019 07:45 AM

DH and I were given the same money advice by a neighbor when first married. He was a down to earth guy, retired and had tons of common sense. He had money sense that was eye opening for a young married couple. I can see how it would work with quilting projects too. The key thing is the want to part.

dunster 12-07-2019 07:52 AM

That could work really well - if you view your UFO's as debt and feel an obligation to get rid of them.

maryb119 12-07-2019 08:26 AM

Sounds like a good plan.

sewingitalltogether 12-07-2019 09:38 AM

Never heard of him. But I will apply it to my 2020 projects list.

Jingle 12-07-2019 03:41 PM

I am sewing the longest strips together first. Shortest strips last. Guess I am working backwards.

toverly 12-07-2019 03:54 PM

It definitely works for finances, DH and I got out of debt in your younger days. It would probably work fine for UFO's. At the first of each year my Guild has a "Get-it-done" list. At the end of the year for every project you finished and showed the Guild, your name goes into a drawing for each entry and you win something. I keep my own list and go over it when I finish something and am in that limbo between projects.

GEMRM 12-07-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8337342)
It definitely works for finances, DH and I got out of debt in your younger days. It would probably work fine for UFO's. At the first of each year my Guild has a "Get-it-done" list. At the end of the year for every project you finished and showed the Guild, your name goes into a drawing for each entry and you win something. I keep my own list and go over it when I finish something and am in that limbo between projects.

My guild had that program for a couple years. I really liked it as I got lots done. I've tried making my own list the last two years - first year I did pretty good, this past year, not so well. Going to tackle more ufo's in 2020 and I may try this approach to knocking them off....thanks for sharing.