Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dear Jane Quilt Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dear-jane-quilt-questions-t203680.html)

seasaw2mch 10-19-2012 03:19 PM

Dear Jane Quilt Questions

is there a set size to do the blocks? Is 6" the normal size? can the blocks be done at 4" and still be workable?
I'm asking because I'm thinking about making a block a day for the next year and then making a quilt out of them. I was wandering mostly if doing all the blocks 4" would make them to hard to do. The reason for 4" is the size of the quilt with all 360 blocks is going to be huge!

SO what do you think?

happymrs 10-19-2012 03:24 PM

I think you could do them any size you want to do them. I started some, the size in the book, which I don't remember right now, & I may not do all of them, as I don't need one big huge quilt, lol. Your quilt, do it your way, & don't worry about it! Do what makes you happy, that's why we quilt, right!...Enjoy the journey!...

DogHouseMom 10-19-2012 03:36 PM

If I'm not mistaken, DJ blocks are 4" finished.

seasaw2mch 10-19-2012 03:46 PM

I guess I need to correct myself here. I'm calling it a Dear Jane because it will be lots of small blocks not necessarily the original Dear Jane ones. I'm just going to pick through all the many books that I have and grab blocks that I think look good and make up each block. I'm going to try and not do any two the same design. I'm sure with all the designs out there I should be able to do that.

QuiltnNan 10-19-2012 04:09 PM

here is a link to the current DJ sew along. the first post shows that the DJ finished blocks are 4.5"
you are certainly welcome to join us

roseOfsharon 10-19-2012 04:40 PM

The finished block size is 4 1/2"... but end up being 4" square once sewn into a quilt. :)

QuiltE 10-19-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon (Post 5597903)
The finished block size is 4 1/2"... but end up being 4" square once sewn into a quilt. :)

To clarify ...
unfinished size is 4-1/2" (size once assembled and before sewing into the quilt)
finished size is 4" (size once sewin in place in the quilt)

If you're going to create your own sampler design ... then make them whatever size you wish!

seasaw2mch 10-20-2012 07:24 AM

I didn't know there was a Dear Jane sew along, I may have to check that out to get some ideas on what I'm trying to do.
Thanks everyone for all your help with this as I have never made such small blocks before and wasn't sure it could be done without a big struggle. I have a 55 gal trash can full of small scraps that I want to use up doing this. I just hope it puts a dent in it.

Rose Marie 10-20-2012 07:27 AM

I bought the software and you can resize bigger.
The software is not user friendly and have only made a few blocks then moved on to other things.
I also changed the method of making some of the blocks as they are not the easy way to make them.
Will get back to it someday.

Kitsie 10-20-2012 07:46 AM

The blocks are intended to be 4 1/2" when finished - so 5" before assembly. Many people have made them different sizes which is a good idea for those that only want to make a few! The quilt is supposedly 84" square. If you "google" Dear Jane quilt you will see many examples of it done with fewer blocks. Have fun with it! I'm loving doing mine - about one per day as you plan to do.