Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dear jane....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dear-jane-t188486.html)

Geri B 05-09-2012 07:51 AM

Dear jane.......

I just rec'd the book from ebay.......have always been curious about it and the price was right....so is there a group here at the board that are "doers" of these blocks? I am not a miniaturist and looking at these intricate patterns is making me wonder why I bought this book.....has anyone enlarged these patterns and then proceeded to make a quilt....I really think that is what I am going to do............just a thought. But I really would like to know of a group of these devotees.

Pat625 05-09-2012 07:53 AM

I will be following this!! I was just looking at the very same book today, and was interested in ordering it..Are the directions clearly written? The other book I was looking at was the Civil War sampler book...

MdmSew'n'Sew 05-09-2012 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5204761)
I just rec'd the book from ebay.......have always been curious about it and the price was right....so is there a group here at the board that are "doers" of these blocks? I am not a miniaturist and looking at these intricate patterns is making me wonder why I bought this book.....has anyone enlarged these patterns and then proceeded to make a quilt....I really think that is what I am going to do............just a thought. But I really would like to know of a group of these devotees.

there is a group in the blocks of the month heading - lots of discussion and pictures - I have had the book for several years now, am slowly collecting lots and lots of different FQs of repros that I think will work - it's going to be the first big project when I retire (not all that far away, shudder!) - but I am excited about the challenge - I'm sure you're not the first one to enlarge the patterns - if you read the book, the author Brenda notes that all the blocks in the original quilt weren't even the same size - she just sized them all at 4" for modern quilters who were used to a consistent size. It's a fun quilt, and so you should have fun working on it - enjoy the journey!

Geri B 05-09-2012 09:30 AM

after a bit more research on the web, I have found that EQ offers a software for Dear Jane that will make those templates, and offers the option of changing the size of the blocks. I am thinking of buying that, but maybe thru Amazon.com, price seems a bit cheaper there, and then will plan to make those blocks at either 6 or 8", maybe incorporate both and add sashing to the smaller (6") to make the same size as the larger(8")...will order the software first though, as I really cannot see myself making all those templates by hand!!!!!!!!that does not look like something that would soothe my soul!!!!! I will also search for a group to see what they are doing. I also have the Farmer's Wife Sampler book and the FW Pony Club book.......don't ask my why...I think I am getting obsessive/compulsive!!!!

Geri B 05-09-2012 09:37 AM

Pat625 asked if there are directions and are they clear. Basically there is a pic of the block with a line drawing of the finished block true size (4") from which one has to draw the templates with either adding the scant 1/4" to the template or cutting out the fabric including that SCANT (there is that word again) 1/4". On several of the pages there are "letters" to Jane from the author as she works on drafting these drawings from the original quilt...interesting but not helpful in the working of the blocks!!!! I was a bit disappointed at the presentation of the blocks--having to make the templates so primitively.........that is why I am going to order the software.......FW and FWPony Club have the dvd included in the book, whereas this book did not.........so now to order the software and see what I can do.....

SuzyQ 05-09-2012 11:04 AM

I am a member of a local BOM group and we are doing a DJ in either the original size or a 9". I think our teacher uses the EQ software for the larger block too. I wonder if you could take the pages in the book to a copy center and have them enlarged? If they were all enlarged using the same copier would it really matter that much in the end if they were an exact size like we're used to? I don't want to make a whole quilt but I want to make window treatment toppers and am using the original size because the 9" would be too big. I've wondered about enlarging the ones from the book but haven't tried it yet. Do you think that would work?

Suzy

sharon b 05-09-2012 11:14 AM

Here is the one that is currently going on

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...n-t175669.html

Lots of help to be found - also use the search button and find more topics :)

mim 05-09-2012 11:14 AM

If you will do a search on the board for Dear Jane Stickle -- you will find a wonderful group that makes 3 blocks a week. There is a schedule you can print out to follow if you want.

Lots and lots of help, encouragement and pix of pur blocks -- Welcome
Mim

Geri B 05-09-2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyQ (Post 5205247)
I am a member of a local BOM group and we are doing a DJ in either the original size or a 9". I think our teacher uses the EQ software for the larger block too. I wonder if you could take the pages in the book to a copy center and have them enlarged? If they were all enlarged using the same copier would it really matter that much in the end if they were an exact size like we're used to? I don't want to make a whole quilt but I want to make window treatment toppers and am using the original size because the 9" would be too big. I've wondered about enlarging the ones from the book but haven't tried it yet. Do you think that would work?

Suzy

I actually enlarged one on my own copier....used a proportional scale to find out what percentage.....it worked...but then I tried doing on my EQ5...yes, I know it's the "old version" but good enough for what I do with it....did 3 blocks in drawing, then printed one in foundation piecing and 2 in templates...since it is almost dinner now, and unfortunately the cook is off today (ha, ha!), I have to create in the kitchen, so tomorrow I will create in my sewing room--better place to be than in the kitch......btw..I am enlarging to 6"--so far so good, but I may have to re-plan this to a larger size. I just cannot bring myself to do the actual size blocks...to small for me....

Geri B 05-09-2012 02:48 PM

yes, I did find the group on board.....loved reading the posts.....have decided to purchase the Dear Jane software and attach it to my eq......but since they have been at this since Jan...I would be way behind, so I will read and do what I can, but I will print out the timetable.........