Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dear new friends, Help! A very special baby shower 7 days from today. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dear-new-friends-help-very-special-baby-shower-7-days-today-t284070.html)

BevyG 11-27-2016 01:32 PM

Dear new friends, Help! A very special baby shower 7 days from today.

Hi fellow quilters,
My niece's baby shower is a week from today. My sister is express mailing me a box filled with clothing my brother wore. He passed away 5 years ago, and is the baby's grandfather. I thought it would be nice to use his things to make a quilt for the baby. I don't have time for perfection, but it's the thought that counts, right?
I asked Mommy-to-be's big brother some questions and came up with this. I'd love to applique a little boy with a baseball bat and maybe a glove. Beside him on the ground would be a calico kitty playing with the baseball.
Do you have any ideas? I'll do the best I can. As I said, it's the thought that counts. I plan to tack the quilt. We grew up under our grandmother's tacked quilts. If she'd like it quilted, I can bring it home to quilt then send it to her.
Any thoughts or ideas?

JenniePenny 11-27-2016 01:51 PM

Hello and welcome. My advice is probably not what you're expecting. Make this adorable quilt. Just don't complete it this week. Bring something else to the shower. If your niece knows nothing about your idea, she will not be disappointed. Your sister and nephew can keep the secret for a few more weeks. Have the quilt ready for your niece when she is receiving visitors after the baby is born. I do this when life is too full to make a quilt that is what I envision in the span of a week.

Tartan 11-27-2016 02:31 PM

My advice would be to do the background of the quilt in simple squares. If the clothes are not cotton then the fewer seams the better. Find pictures of your boy with the bat and a the cat and make your appliques to go on top of the squares. I might also do simple silhouettes rather then really detailed appliques.

BevyG 11-27-2016 03:04 PM

Thank you Jennie. It sounds like sound advice. We are spread about. WV, CO, IN, and MI. We'll see how it goes!

BevyG 11-27-2016 03:05 PM

Tartan, the simple applique silhouettes sounds like a very good idea. I can have most of the quilt pieced so when the clothes arrive just a few snips can get the cloth I need to flesh it out. Thanks.

Angel Bear 11-27-2016 03:15 PM

Welcome from OHIO!!! :wave: I agree with JenniePenny. I hate rushing to make a quilt...especially one so special! Be sure to share a picture with us when you get it finished.

M.Elizabeth 11-27-2016 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 7707437)
Hello and welcome. My advice is probably not what you're expecting. Make this adorable quilt. Just don't complete it this week. Bring something else to the shower. If your niece knows nothing about your idea, she will not be disappointed. Your sister and nephew can keep the secret for a few more weeks. Have the quilt ready for your niece when she is receiving visitors after the baby is born. I do this when life is too full to make a quilt that is what I envision in the span of a week.

I agree with this message exactly. No need to rush so much when you can go at a slower pace to have ready when the baby arrives.

quiltingshorttimer 11-27-2016 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 7707437)

excellent advice! And for applique, you might look on-line or in color books for the outlines of what you want--are you using the baby clothes as is (i.e. dressing the little boy in them?).

Jordan 11-28-2016 07:24 AM

I agree with JenniePenny too. Don't rush on something that will be so special to the new baby. You want it to be treasured by the new Mom and baby. If you take your time and decide what you want to make, you will enjoy the process more. Good luck and please share a picture when you have finished.

grmamrtha1 11-28-2016 12:11 PM

I had the similar idea as "quiltingshorttimer", in that I'd pictured a Baseball Buddy(similar to Sunbonnet Sue, but a little boy instead of a little girl), with the little guy dressed in his grandfather's clothing. Quite the undertaking for just a week away, but doable if you do nothing else. Please let us see what you decided to make with his grandfather's clothing.