Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Deb Tucker hunter's star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/deb-tucker-hunters-star-t188787.html)

indycat32 05-12-2012 08:28 AM

Deb Tucker hunter's star

Hi ladies. Long time lurker here. I recently made a small hunter's star using Deb's ruler. All my seams measured 1/4 inch (a miracle) and I was careful with my pressing. When I went to square up the blocks, none of the seam lines on my diamonds matched up with the diamonds on the template. My pieces were smaller than the ruler. I "split the difference" when squaring up, and the blocks went together pretty well, but I'm wondering if others using Deb's ruler have had this happen. I want to make a larger quilt and would like my blocks to come out right without having to adjust the alignment of each block and hope for the best, or try for that ever-elusive "scant" 1/4 inch seam.

QM 05-12-2012 08:34 AM

I can't speak to Deb's ruler. I do know I stopped having this sort of problem when I realized that a "scant" 1/4" is measured from the hairy edge of the fabric, which is a couple of threads over from where I thought it should be.

Arleners 05-12-2012 09:38 AM

I just am finishing up a hunter's star quilt and found the same thing. I know I was accurate on my seams, and many of the center squares miss the mark on the ruler. However, when assembled, it doesn't appear to make a difference since nothing is matched up with the center squares. Since you trim down the block to the size of the ruler, the blocks go together like a charm.

tjradj 05-12-2012 01:50 PM

I had some problems getting my stars to line up properly too. I used Deb's ruler. I think it was a combo of a few things - my seam allowance, and I didn't starch my fabric. Usually I starch any fabric that's going to be used in precise piecing.

BMP 05-12-2012 02:51 PM

I just made a runner and table topper using her template, mine didnt line up either but I had plenty to trim off to square them up....are you sure you are squaring them to the proper size block, I actually had over a 1/4 inch on all sides to trim... all my stars did match up tho!

jcrow 05-12-2012 03:47 PM

I just bought her ruler but haven't used it yet. I am glad to read this thread. I'll do a practice star and check the size before I start chain piecing. Thanks.

Jingle 05-12-2012 07:10 PM

I try to avoid any pattern that has to be so precise. I just don't have that much patience. Try as I might, things don't usually come out as they should.
Welcome from outside St. Louis.

quiltyfeelings 05-12-2012 08:16 PM

I love that ruler and I've made 3 hunter's star quilts using it. I had plenty to trim to square up. Check your lines carefully!

indycat32 05-13-2012 06:11 AM

I'm glad to know it's not just me. My block was plenty big enough to square up, it was just the inside seams (the diamond) that didn't match up with the lines on the ruler. I'll starch and move my needle slightly before I start my big project.

grocifer 05-13-2012 09:15 AM

This post was intriguing enough to send me into members, tutorials, etc. trying to figure out more about using the ruler. Talk about a wild goose chase! What a duh moment. Today started fresh and googled Deb Turner and found all the answers. Also decided this was information I might want to refer back to so had to delete it from my subscriptions folder then resubscribe to place it in my Stars folder. I think I do everything the hard way!!