Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Debbie Mumm Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/debbie-mumm-fabrics-t33932.html)

Favorite Fabrics 01-12-2010 09:50 AM

Once upon a time, the fabrics that Debbie Mumm designed were only sold through quilt shops.

Then a year or two ago, she began to design collections that are sold through JoAnn Fabrics.

And she also still has some lines that are only sold to quilt shops.

It makes me wonder: was it a good idea for her to make "chain store" lines? You can get those less expensively (with coupons & sales) than you could the "quilt shop only" (QSO) lines. So... would you even consider buying her QSO lines? Or would the higher quality of the QSO lines make it worth it?

amma 01-12-2010 09:52 AM

It depends on what the chain store lines look like. If there isn't much difference, then I would go for the best deal.

shaverg 01-12-2010 10:00 AM

It depends, I would have to see it and feel it. I go by feel as much as anything. I bought some Timeless Treasures at a quilt shop and am not happy with it. I should have paid more attention. It feels almost like canvas, even after washing. I still used it but if I could do it over again I would not have.

Honey 01-12-2010 11:53 AM

Personally, I will go with my lqs. With as much time and effort that goes into a quilt I refuse to use lesser quality fabric.

shaverg 01-12-2010 12:17 PM

Mine Timeless Treasures came from my LQS so there can be problems there too.

Originally Posted by Honey
Personally, I will go with my lqs. With as much time and effort that goes into a quilt I refuse to use lesser quality fabric.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-12-2010 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by amma
It depends on what the chain store lines look like. If there isn't much difference, then I would go for the best deal.

I agree.

MistyMarie 01-12-2010 01:01 PM

I have several of her books and her patterns fit her style of fabric so I am thrilled to have JoAnns carry the line. I know my LQS does not carry her. Probably because JoAnns does.

charismah 01-12-2010 04:29 PM

I usually only buy LQS fabric...because I like the higher quality fabric...and also because I think we need to support them....otehrwise we won't have them either.

Jim's Gem 01-12-2010 08:53 PM

My thoughts too! I was at a JoAnns today and saw the Debbie Mumm fabrics. I felt a lot of fabrics today, didn't buy a single one!
I have bought too many not so good a quality fabrics in the past and have the falling apart quilts to show for it.

Elisabrat 01-13-2010 01:58 AM

the lines in say JoAnns feel like they are JoAnns fabric. So no I wouldnt buy there. I don't tend to buy her things for myself but my lil sister loves her, the mary engelbreight (spell check) look is what she is all about .. the thread count is different at the lesser stores. That said so is the fabric designs of kona bay there too. Sample runs more like it.