Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   deciding on quilt pattern and fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/deciding-quilt-pattern-fabric-t170850.html)

TanyaL 12-03-2011 06:07 PM

deciding on quilt pattern and fabric

When you decide to start a new quilt, what is usually your goal? How fast you can finish it? How beautiful can you make it? Can you learn some new technique? Can you make it without having to learn something new? How cheaply can you make it, i.e. using only what you have already purchased?
What is your goal? I'm talking about a quilt you are making for your own enjoyment, not one requested with specific requirements, or made for donation with specific requirements.

donnalynett 12-03-2011 06:10 PM

I just purchased fabric for a quilt for myself. I am basing it on all of your questions and hope to finish this one. I have only made one for myself in 30+ years and I got frustrated with my machine quilting and have never finished it.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 12-03-2011 06:17 PM

I guess each quilt I have always made rather it be for myself of someone else each have their own story. It could be the fabric line or pattern or room its going or personality of the person or favortite book or anything. I think we all tend to be more harsh on ourselves then others. I tell myself if I am putting 100% plus into everything I am doing then its my best. The best thing with creating something.........is everything added to the quilt adds character. And usually these spots in a quilt are only noticed by you and not others. So just be happy and enjoy every minute creating your quilt and you will love it in the end.

TanyaL 12-03-2011 06:20 PM

How many of you would like to make a quilt you feel you could enter into a competition?

CorgiNole 12-03-2011 06:29 PM

My goal is generally to learn a new technique and develop skills, so that is the driver in my choice.

Cheers, K

TanyaL 12-03-2011 06:41 PM

How many of you know you will get bored making the same block over and over again, so you pick a pattern that has a multitude of different blocks? I know many of these types are applique quilts, many are art quilts, many are sampler quilts - not sure what else has different blocks. I know from reading lots of posts that many of you are bored before your quilts are finished, and many quilts don't get finished - is that from boredom?

amma 12-03-2011 06:43 PM

All of the above :) It just depends on the quilt, my mood, etc... at the time :) :) :)

Sunnie 12-03-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole (Post 4748646)
My goal is generally to learn a new technique and develop skills

Same here. I like to try something new on each project. Plus I'm a color freak and sometimes the fabrics talk to me. As I recently read: "I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas."

lisalovesquilting 12-03-2011 06:57 PM

Mostly how beautiful it will be. Usually doing the same block again and again is relaxing to me. I don't care about entering competitions. There are so many quilts I want to make, but I can't hurry one along. I love choosing fabric whether its from a shop or my stash.

QuiltE 12-03-2011 07:04 PM

Let's hear your answers, to these questions TanyaL .... I'm thinking there is more of a backstory here. You're firing out a lot of questions, and not giving anything else.