Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Decorative" rotary cutter blades - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/decorative-rotary-cutter-blades-t271242.html)

bearisgray 10-19-2015 08:40 AM

"Decorative" rotary cutter blades - -

Olfa has a pinking, scallop, and a wave one.

Have any of you used any of them - and if yes, what do you think of them?

jul12 10-19-2015 08:51 AM

I use the pinking blade to cut background blocks etc for hand applique to stop fraying during all the handling. They are cut oversize anyway, then can be trimmed with a straight blade to size when the applique finished. Works very well ... I got fed up changing the blades in the cutter so now have another dedicated cutter for the pinking blade.

sewmany 10-19-2015 08:52 AM

I have the scallop one. I use it to edge my background block so it does not fray. It the numerous times the fabric is held it really helps.

Snooze2978 10-19-2015 09:33 AM

I have the pinking blade and use it all the time for fraying type fabrics. Plus use it all the time for apparel fabrics as I like how the seams look pinked. I keep an extra blade sitting around so never run out when I need it most. Also picked up a blade that puts slits in fabrics such as fleece for when you want to put them together with yarn. Works well with any type of fabric that does not split apart such as leather, fleece, etc.

Daylesewblessed 10-19-2015 12:43 PM

I use the pinking blade for fleece appliques (fleece on fleece). I also use the patented "skip-stitch" blade for poking holes in fleece for crocheted borders. They come in three different sizes (holes and distance between holes) and are available at skip-stitch.com. The fit on standard Olfa and Fiskars handles. For me, I find the pinking blade dulls quickly, and that may be due to the nature of the pinking design, plus the fact that fleece is hard on cutting blades. The skip-stitch blade lasts a long time, and I use it a lot for Project Linus.

MaryKatherine 10-19-2015 01:36 PM

I use then when planning raw applique for leaves. I also "pink" the edges of blocks that I have to add embellishments to. Anything that gets handles a lot before being "sewn" has the edge done!
Love them.
THOUGH there is no way to sharpen them so they get tossed before the straight edges.

ManiacQuilter2 10-20-2015 06:51 AM

I almost bought one but thought it would be used seldom.

Mariposa 10-20-2015 06:54 AM

I have the pinking, and wave ones. I do like them, but I now use an older mat, since I feel they chew up my mat a bit.

thimblebug6000 10-20-2015 07:43 AM

I have the wave one and had to be very careful not to take a shaving off my ruler when I used it.

WMUTeach 10-21-2015 03:00 AM

I have the pinking blade. Needed to cut a couple hundred pennants to hang as party decorations. It worked perfectly. I do not use it for general cutting of quilt pieces. I found them just slightly more challenging to use with accuracy but with just a little extra concentration, it work beautifully.