Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Decorative Stich With Machine Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/decorative-stich-machine-binding-t214097.html)

EllieGirl 02-17-2013 05:03 PM

Decorative Stich With Machine Binding

I've read about and have seen quilts with decorative stitching on the binding. I know how my stitching looks on the back sometimes! So how do people get their decorative stitching to look nice on both the front and the back?

Prism99 02-17-2013 05:09 PM

What I have found is that any stitch that has a straight line to it needs to be done very slowly and carefully so that you are stitching just a thread or two to the left of the first stitching line. I have found with this kind of stitch that it helps a lot to glue-baste the binding first. Using an open-toe foot and sewing very slowly helps keep the stitching looking good on both sides. The one I like best for this makes a forward stitch, then a stitch to the right, then a stitch back into the same hold on the left, and repeats.

Using a decorative stitch that doesn't have a straight line to it makes it much easier to achieve a good look on both sides. The serpentine stitch is the one I use. (Sews a big S over and over.)

NanaCsews2 02-17-2013 05:20 PM

I sew my binding to the back, then sew the serpentine stitch to the binding on the front. I do a test first so I get the width exactly right, then I eye up where the foot needs to be on the binding, sew slow, and keep my eye ahead of the foot. Doing this, I have the stitch edge just hitting the edge of the binding on the back, and it looks the same on the front, just to the inside edge of the binding. I create an actual mock up of a quilt edge with the binding sewn on. I do not like taking out stitches so I make sure I have what I want before I do the actual binding. I also lift the quilt edge up every so often and double check the sewing on the bottom-with the needle down. Since every binding doesn't always end up with the same width on each quilt, I need to do these tests first as the width may not always the same for the serpentine stitch I am sewing. Changing the length and width of the serpentine stitch gives different looks.

judylg 02-18-2013 03:39 PM

I have tried the fancy stitches, I like how they look, while they might not look perfect, but it works for me. The thing I find with the fancy stitches, they take a little longer to sew. By the time I get to the binding I am ready to use just a straight stitch. One thing does help is pressing the binding after I have sewn it to the front, it sits much nicer and is easier to finish off.

jcrow 02-18-2013 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what my LQS owner did for me while she was ringing people up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396138[/ATTACH]

Pollytink 02-19-2013 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5871081)
This is what my LQS owner did for me while she was ringing people up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396138[/ATTACH]

Are we missing a pic here?

Peckish 02-19-2013 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pollytink (Post 5874408)
Are we missing a pic here?

Lol no, your quote clearly shows a picture. ;)

Milli 02-20-2013 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5868803)
What I have found is that any stitch that has a straight line to it needs to be done very slowly and carefully so that you are stitching just a thread or two to the left of the first stitching line. I have found with this kind of stitch that it helps a lot to glue-baste the binding first. Using an open-toe foot and sewing very slowly helps keep the stitching looking good on both sides. The one I like best for this makes a forward stitch, then a stitch to the right, then a stitch back into the same hold on the left, and repeats.

Using a decorative stitch that doesn't have a straight line to it makes it much easier to achieve a good look on both sides. The serpentine stitch is the one I use. (Sews a big S over and over.)

Thats the one I use also.