Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   decorative stitching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/decorative-stitching-t162412.html)

Sunnye 10-22-2011 01:00 PM

I'm sure there is help out there for me from someone or somewhere! I've been trying to get some decorative stitching done and am having several problems.

1. material puckering
2. the bobbin thread (top and bottom colors are different) is not showing
3. the patterns just don't look exactly right

I have a Baby Lock Quilter's Dream/Quest machine. I've read the owner's manual and other things online. I've changed thread (even colors!), fooled with the tension and the little screw on the bobbin holder.
Things still don't look right. What now?
Thanks in advance to all that respond. You all are so wise.

Lindsey 10-22-2011 01:02 PM

Use a stablillzer perhaps two sheets or just use lots of spray starch.

Maia B 10-22-2011 01:43 PM

Use stabilizer. On the Quest, the stitches are up to 8mm, so unless it's stiff/heavy fabric, of course it will tunnel or pucker. Make sure you are threading the pigtail of your bobbin case. If the stitches are forming properly, adjust the balance (a little screw with +/- markings near it). If there's too much top thread showing on the back, tighten the top tension. If there's too much bobbin thread showing, loosen the top tension. Hope that helps.

Dolphyngyrl 10-22-2011 01:43 PM

What are you doing this on, how many layers, are you using a stabilizer. I have done them on my babylock espire with no problems. What foot are you using?

Sunnye 10-22-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
What are you doing this on, how many layers, are you using a stabilizer. I have done them on my babylock espire with no problems. What foot are you using?

Two layers of fabric, no batting.
Using the foot the machine tells me to.
I am not using stabilizer; are ya'll talking about the material stabilizer? Should I put it between the two layers or is there a tear away?

Sunnye 10-22-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Use stabilizer. On the Quest, the stitches are up to 8mm, so unless it's stiff/heavy fabric, of course it will tunnel or pucker. Make sure you are threading the pigtail of your bobbin case. If the stitches are forming properly, adjust the balance (a little screw with +/- markings near it). If there's too much top thread showing on the back, tighten the top tension. If there's too much bobbin thread showing, loosen the top tension. Hope that helps.

Doesn't the manual say just the opposite on the tension? If not I've completely read it wrong. But, I've done both already. Will try again.
Thanks.

M.I.Late 10-22-2011 02:27 PM

I would use one sheet of tear away to begin with. If that doesn't solve the problem add a second. I don't think you'll need the second though.

Sunnye 10-23-2011 07:57 AM

I used the stabilizer last night and it worked for the puckering. I got the bobbin thread to stay on the bottom and then all of a sudden it started showing on the top; right in the middle of sewing my "line."