Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Denim quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/denim-quilt-t272018.html)

Quilty-Louise 11-08-2015 12:49 PM

Denim quilt

For the last several years as my hubs has broken "out" of his
jeans (from squatting down at work), he has brought them
home to me in case I wanted to "save" them for a quilt.

Last week was the latest pair he brought home for me, so I
washed them and proceeded to cut the legs out leaving the
pockets, (inner and outer) seams, zipper, and waist band.
Now take into account that my hubs is a BIG guy (6'3" & 370)
there is a lot of denim in the legs of his jeans.

I am curious as to how big of square and/or rectangle would
be a good size to cut the denim?

At this point I have only cut 1 pair of jeans (all I can find right now),
but I THINK that I have about 2-4 more pair (once I can locate them).

Not sure HOW big I should even plan the quilt because I KNOW
that it will be very heavy if I make it to big.

TIA for all suggestions.

zozee 11-08-2015 12:53 PM

I've never made a denim quilt, but can imagine it would be very heavy if it were big. If I were making blocks, I'd go for 6 inch finished. That way you can start with a lap quilt that would have modest size blocks, and you can get an idea of how heavy it is after making it that size.

just_the_scraps_m'am 11-08-2015 12:56 PM

i used a circle that i could fit a 4" square inside of -- and luckily i found a plastic lid the right size that i used for a template
i just keep sewing them together -- don't know if it will ever get done & not too worried if i will be too big or not --

Manalto 11-08-2015 01:04 PM

I'd make the pieces as large as possible. Seams add weight.

How about if you back it with flannel and don't use batting? That might be a way to minimize added weight.

I know you didn't ask, but the thought occurred to me that contrasting colors look good on denim. Orange is the classic color used on jeans; I made a denim coat with lime-green stitching that I thought looked good with it. (Just my $.02.) Also, what about mixing the denim with khaki (if available)? Still durable but a bit lighter in weight.

I'm keeping my eye on this thread because I have dogs and a "working quilt" would have to be tough enough to endure their efforts to make a nest out of it.

PaperPrincess 11-08-2015 01:04 PM

Remember that seams add bulk and weight. I think the 6" finished size is a good size. You can just back it with flannel, no batting. Makes a great car quilt or picnic quilt. If you do a google image search on Denim quilts, there are lots of ideas.

Material Witness 11-08-2015 03:25 PM

My first one I made with 7" blocks. The second one I changed to 8" blocks, and was pleasantly surprised with how much less sewing there was for the same finished size. The next 4 were 8" also.

ukdame 11-08-2015 03:31 PM

Would look nice w/some olaid mixed in or as backing.

Jeanne S 11-08-2015 04:41 PM

I agree with Manalto---make the pieces as large as possible---10" or 12" since it will be so heavy. Would make a great utility quilt. Red and/or navy accents would be nice.

meyert 11-08-2015 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saved my kids jeans for a while and last year I made a couple of those "circle" quilts. I really like how they turned out - but they are heavy, but they are big. I am saving jeans again and I think I will make one 50" x 60" or so with fleece backing. I will probably just do simple squares - the biggest size I can get from the jeans I will be working on [ATTACH=CONFIG]535241[/ATTACH]

luvstoquilt 11-09-2015 04:58 AM

I made one for my grandson using 6 " squares and alternated them with plaids. I backed it with flannel and used a thin batting which was really not necessary. It was so thick I tied it. It is still well loved.