Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   denim quilt??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/denim-quilt-t282152.html)

quiltlady1941 09-13-2016 10:50 AM

denim quilt???

I have a lot of old jeans that are the stretch kind of denim.Can you use them in a blue jean quilt?

Thanks

PABerard 09-13-2016 10:56 AM

Yes, but they are heavy when finished. I like the look of them, the different shading is really pretty.

Prism99 09-13-2016 11:31 AM

I've started one. Personally, I could not cut up the jeans using scissors or rotary cutter -- way too hard on my hands! I pulled out an electric scissors I bought many years ago, and that worked very well to cut up the jeans. It is fast and easy on my hands. However, I still had to rotary cut the denim into shapes. My advice is to get a pair of electric scissors for taking the jeans apart, then take your time cutting the shapes out of denim so you don't stress your hands too much. Almost all of my jeans are stretch denim and I think they will work fine in a quilt. However, I don't think stretch denim will fray the way non-stretch frays. You might want to take that into account when you choose a pattern. Or you may want to send some pieces through with your laundry multiple times to see if the edges fray or not.

There are some wonderful ideas on the net if you Google "denim quilts" and then hit images.

dunster 09-13-2016 11:57 AM

Prism - I wonder if the spring type scissors that you use to snip rag quilts would make an easier job of cutting up the jeans.

I also have a ton of old jeans. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

laughingquilter 09-13-2016 12:53 PM

you can use the stretch denim in a quilt, but it doesn't work well for a rag quilt because of the polyester in it...........

Nammie to 7 09-13-2016 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558193[/ATTACH]

This quilt has stretch denim in it -- the edges won't fray but that is ok by me.

quiltedsunshine 09-13-2016 01:05 PM

When my stretch jeans get dried in a hot dryer, the fabric gets these warped wrinkles in them. Same with a denim quilt. If you use denim with spandex, put a label on the quilt that says not to dry it in a hot dryer.

quiltlady1941 09-13-2016 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 7652057)
When my stretch jeans get dried in a hot dryer, the fabric gets these warped wrinkles in them. Same with a denim quilt. If you use denim with spandex, put a label on the quilt that says not to dry it in a hot dryer.

Thanks everyone, i guess I will keep these and not give them to the Salvation Army, I just didn't know how the stretch ones would work. Thank all for your help..dunster.. I do have a spring type pair of scissors and will have to try them..Thanks for the heads up on this..

also the jeans have been washed many times in very hoy water so I don't think it will be a problem with washing the quilt after it is done..

Misty's Mom 09-13-2016 03:46 PM

Once ou get the jeans cut apart. I cut the squares with my GO. I only cut one layer at a time, but it's still faster than scissors.

sprice 09-14-2016 05:04 AM

Nammie to 7--Love your quilt. It looks so cozy. Nice job on it!