Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Denyse Schmidt patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/denyse-schmidt-patterns-t277535.html)

CindyHa 04-08-2016 06:36 AM

Denyse Schmidt patterns

Hi. I am new to quilting and am really drawn to Denyse Schmidt's "A Different Stripe" pattern.

http://www.dsquilts.com/fabric_and_p...asp?PageID=361

I recently purchased another artist's quilting pattern, and was really disappointed with the vagueness of the instructions, so I'm cautious.

Does anyone have experience with her patterns? Are the instructions detailed and walk you through all the steps in piecing, etc?

Thanks, Cindy

GingerK 04-08-2016 06:51 AM

I have not used her patterns but looking at the photo of the quilt you are interested in making, it looks quite straight forward. The stripes are cut at varying widths and some are cut a little 'wonky' to give more interest. Then the blocks would be squared up and sashing would be added. Even her description states that this pattern lets you use your own creativity when constructing the blocks.

Before paying $15+ I think I would try to make a sample block of my own, using scraps.

joe'smom 04-08-2016 07:41 AM

Someone new to quilting might not know enough to try making a sample block without instructions.

I have one Denyse Schmidt pattern that I haven't used yet. Opening it up, I see it's in the form of a little book, and it seems to be very thorough. Can you give an example of the sort of thing you found vague in the other pattern?

QuiltnNan 04-08-2016 08:31 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)

ManiacQuilter2 04-08-2016 08:31 AM

I am not familiar with her patterns but when I was beginning, I did some EB Quilt in a Day patterns. She is excellent with her instructions. Welcome to the board! :)

Ann912 04-08-2016 08:57 AM

Welcome from Alabama. Sorry, I can't help with the pattern.

Terry in the ADK 04-08-2016 12:46 PM

Welcome! I see that she has some free patterns to download. Why not download a few and see if they make sense to you; even try a few to see if her style of instructions are helpful to you. Sometimes when instructions say "use your own creativity, I translate that as too vague in placement instructions.
Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
Terry

CindyHa 04-08-2016 01:47 PM

I will look at the instructions on the free pattern. Great idea, thank you.
The first pattern I purchased was (I thought) a basic wonky square log cabin-ish quilt.

The instructions say to cut a variety of strips and squares, freehand or however you wish, aiming for variation.

Start with a square roughly 3" on a side, and sew a strip to one edge, then pin the second strip adjacent, etc.

Make 48 blocks.

Join the blocks.
I do not see anywhere where she tells us what size the blocks should be. How to best "square up" the block, etc.
I mailed the author but never got a response.
Maybe I'm making it too hard and should just pick a consistent square size. She does have a suggested layout and says to square up the quilt. That's it. I guess I need/want more hand holding along the way.

suern3 04-08-2016 02:41 PM

Hi Cindy, I feel like a relatively new quilter myself and started quilting about 8 years ago:). After looking at the sample of the vague instructions, I would be stopped in my tracks. My brain just does not work that way and I like (or have ) to use a pattern with exact instructions. Everyone is different in their approach to quilting. Since it looks like you are attracted to a more modern look you might find it helpful to do a search for "wonky" blocks. There are many different versions and most will come with a pattern with very specific instructions. Also try searching "modern quilts". Hopefully, you can find a pattern that you find interesting and with good instructions that will help you with the basics while you are learning. Good luck! Plus, I think that pattern is pretty pricey.

K-Roll 04-08-2016 04:00 PM

Welcome - & I'm new too, and like you, need really detailed instructions.