Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Des Moines area quilt show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/des-moines-area-quilt-show-t69128.html)

maryb119 10-08-2010 06:36 PM

Did anyone go to the APQS quilt show in Des Moines? I was there today and it was wonderful!!!!! I didn't take any pictures to share but if you get the chance to go.....do it!! It was worth the drive!!

quiltlady37 10-08-2010 07:05 PM

I went today. They were very strict about you taking pictures. It was wonderful and so many beautiful quilts and many good vendors.

Rhonda 10-08-2010 07:25 PM

Does that mean they wouldn't let you take any pictures?

craftybear 10-08-2010 07:48 PM

looks like 2 of you were at the show today, did you meet up,

Rhonda 10-08-2010 08:06 PM

I wondered how much do they charge to get in? I would love to go next year.

maryb119 10-09-2010 07:27 AM

Admission was $11 for non members and for AQS members with your card, it was $9. They were strict abvout taking pictures but I did see smoe people taking them. I try to respect the rules at a show. the quilts were fantastic!!!! Lots of venders were there with more beautiful quilts.....It was just an wonderful day. My DD and a friend of mine went together. Mary, the friend, had never been to a big show like that and she was a kid in a candy store. DD and I go to Rosemont and Des Moines both every year. We had a great day!

quiltlady37 10-09-2010 07:41 AM

We were told we could take a picture if we bought the pattern or the kit. I heard several vendors tell people to quit taking pictures. It was a wonderful show and I can understand why they don't want you to take pictures.

e4 10-09-2010 08:11 PM

Went for all 4 days. Took some classes, walked all through the display quilts and visited a lot of vendors. Bought a lot. Some classes i heard were poor or only OK - mine were good. I didn't think some of the show quilts were quite as nice as last year, but there were some amazing quilts.

You could take pictures of most of the show quilts - just not a few of the quilt museum quilts and vendors didn't want you taking pictures unless you bought the pattern. When you did they gladly gave permission to take pictures.

The show was good, but definitely fewer vendors than last year. I particularly missed Martelli with their cutting system, but they apparently got banned for being too popular and other vendors complained. I'll
probably go to a different show next year.

dakotamaid 10-10-2010 03:57 AM

Are you talking about he vendors or the quilts themselves? Many vendors have quilts for display and don't want people photoing them as they have kits for sale. The other picture issue is more for the quilt show it self. There was only one section (that I saw) of original designed quilts that said No photography.

Roben 10-10-2010 06:16 AM

I went for all 4 days also - just like the last two years. AQS puts on a very professional show, and I think it keeps getting better. Some of the extra vendors from last year didn't have much to do with quilting, so I wasn't sorry to see some weeded out this year. (I never saw the Martelli booth very crowded last year -that reasoning surprises me actually.) The classes I took were excellent, and I wouldn't have thought to buy a reverse applique book if the author hadn't been demonstrating how easy it is. I found pieces of a just-out fabric line I've been drooling over, and even got a 25% coupon to visit a nearby quilt shop that had the whole line! I bought a spool or two of threads from most of the major thread lines so I could try them out in my machine (better than ordering online & paying shipping), got to pick up some long arm rulers I can't get here (again, after watching the demo on how to use them - priceless) and pretty much absorbed inspiration for 4 solid days.

You bet I'll be back next year!