Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-board-t191062.html)

Silver Needle 06-07-2012 05:58 PM

DH made me a design wall of PVC pipe. Two 4' x 6' frames. Then we made a pillowcase like cover for each of them with CHEAP wide flannel on one side and some old crappy fabric on the other. By placing them side by side a client laid out the blocks for an entire queen size quit (without borders). Since I wanted to keep the design up and sew by groups we did use pins to hold in place. It worked fine for the designing part and can be taken apart and reconfigured for different projects.

spokanequilter 06-07-2012 07:03 PM

I use inexpensive batting on my design wall. I think it holds the fabric up better than flannel or felt.

Maggiem 06-07-2012 09:13 PM

I have a Block Butler and it is great. I'd tried insulation, but the felines who run my house used it to sharpen their claws... major mess... So I invested in the Block Butler and it hasn't left my wall since early February. Everything sticks to it beautifully, without pins, and enables me to really plan colour choices and designs. It is one of those things that makes me wonder how on earth I got along without it!

burchquilts 06-07-2012 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 (Post 5271301)
I put the Fons & Porter design wall on mine. I love the grid and works really good.

I ordered one of those & it's still in the package. I need to get that out & up on the wall... it's not doing much good in the package! Do you like yours?

burchquilts 06-07-2012 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter (Post 5272890)
I use inexpensive batting on my design wall. I think it holds the fabric up better than flannel or felt.

I've heard that cheap batting is really a good design wall. Plus it has some heft to it, more than flannel.

teddysmom 06-08-2012 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine (Post 5271121)
I would use a inexpensive flannel-backed tablecloth (you can find them at Wal-Mart) I used felt on mine and it doesn't hold the fabric on it like I would prefer.

My flannel backed tablecloth works great! Easy to fold up and store when not needed.

Moonglow 06-08-2012 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom (Post 5273229)
My flannel backed tablecloth works great! Easy to fold up and store when not needed.

I totally agree.

RV Quilter 06-08-2012 04:05 AM

Since I have space limitations in the RV a flannel backed tablecloth is ideal for me to use as a design board. Lay it on the bed and design. If you stop, just fold/roll up the tablecloth and it saves the design for you. When you're ready to work again just unroll it and you're ready to continue.

nhweaver 06-08-2012 04:19 AM

My foam board has started to bend, I cannot mount it to a wall because of limited wall space in my cubby sewing room. I would glue some wood strips to the back to stabiize the foam board. I used 100% cotton batting instead of the original flannel backed plastic table cloth as the plastic cracked in the cold room (I keep the temp at 55 when not in there.

quiltstringz 06-08-2012 05:21 AM

Of everything I have tried the cotton or poly cotton batting works best. I did find that the Hobbs 80/20 did not work as well