Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design help, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-help-please-t290769.html)

bkay 08-27-2017 03:33 PM

Design help, please

3 Attachment(s)
I'm a beginning quilter. I was pretty happy with my first two quilts. One was a d9P lap quilt, and the second was similar. By the time I finished the top on my third quilt (a queen size), I no longer liked it. I really liked the fabric, but it was just too blue. I didn't have it quilted. On the fourth, I never figured out a border I liked, so it joined my 3rd on the UFO pile. I don't want this to become a habit.

I had some 4" I spy squares and a bunch of assorted scraps and decided to make "happy blocks". I had no real plan, but thought they would do fine in a random arrangement. Once I started playing with them, I began to question my original plan. I have about 100 of these blocks, not counting duplicates. I don't have a lot of all the colors, though. I have lots of Orange, Red, Yellow and Green in many hues and tints.

So do you like any of these arrangements or do you have another suggestion? I have more 4" squares and will probably make some more blocks.

First is the random arrangement which I tried last.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579654[/ATTACH]

Then I tried strips of colors and wasn't happy with that (too much red and orange), but it looks better in the photo.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579655[/ATTACH]

Then I tried eliminating some colors - I liked it better in person than in the photo - but that is a lot of red and orange.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579656[/ATTACH]

toverly 08-27-2017 03:44 PM

I vote the random colors. I think a child will like the variety better than a pattern but that's just my thoughts. One of the hardest things about being a beginner quilter for me was second guessing myself. In the beginning, every one was a challenge. After a while, after many quilts. If there is one I just don't like I quickly give it away. Fun and done.

SusieQOH 08-27-2017 03:47 PM

I like the top 2 but not the 3rd, actually I like the first one best.

dunster 08-27-2017 04:01 PM

I also like the first 2 better than the 3rd. I really don't see too much red and orange when I look at them. You're doing a terrific job on this, it will be a happy quilt like you wanted, so don't worry about it so much. You will soon find out, if you haven't already, that every quilt looks better when the blocks are all sewn together, and then looks better again when it's quilted and bound.

cashs_mom 08-27-2017 04:26 PM

I vote for the first one

anne2016 08-27-2017 04:38 PM

I like the first one...random squares. I think it will look great when finished.

Anniedeb 08-27-2017 04:54 PM

I like the randomness of the first one. I think kids would also. Finish up and call it done! I second guess my self a lot, then usually wind up going back to my first idea.

nativetexan 08-27-2017 04:54 PM

I like the second one best. the last is good too. pick one. it won't hurt. you will get back to the tops you put away, don't fret. We've all done this.

pocoellie 08-27-2017 05:17 PM

A lot of quilters/crafters are too hard on themselves. I see nothing wrong with any of the pics you've shown. I'm assuming you plan on donating/gifting these quilts, if so, the people who receive them won't see anything wrong with them, even if you make an "error" they won't see the errors, they'll just be happy that someone thought of them.

jcraine 08-27-2017 05:19 PM

I'm partial to the second grouping.