Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-question-t261078.html)

MaryKatherine 02-10-2015 09:47 AM

Design Question

2 Attachment(s)
Haven't done this sort of thing for a while. (This is a baby quilt following momma's instructions. I think my family is a bit off???)
Nine patches with a fussy cut animal center. Final size will be 9 inches sq. MY question is whether to mix 8 colours/pattern in each nine patch or use two. I'm thinking limiting two is a more cohesive and calming? look?
I'd appreciate your thoughts.

ManiacQuilter2 02-10-2015 09:49 AM

All I can say is that this generation of mommies have got a different color taste in baby quilts. I guess traditional baby quilts have been tossed aside with the bath water!!

bearisgray 02-10-2015 10:03 AM

I like two fabric better, for each block. But maybe vary the combinations?

MaryKatherine 02-10-2015 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7085280)
I like two fabric better, for each block. But maybe vary the combinations?

Yes I thought I would do that. There are eight different fabrics so that should cover it.

MaryKatherine 02-10-2015 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7085258)
All I can say is that this generation of mommies have got a different color taste in baby quilts. I guess traditional baby quilts have been tossed aside with the bath water!!

I agree with you on that one. But we raised them to be independent thinkers, didn't we?

faykilgore 02-10-2015 10:32 AM

The two colors feels more balanced to me, but definitely use a different pair for each block. Babies actually prefer the bright colors. I like this quilt a lot! Be sure to post pictures when it's done.

Tartan 02-10-2015 10:49 AM

I like the variety but you will need to work out a design so no 2 fabrics are beside each other unless you are adding sashing. The 2 colour combo you would just need to switch the location of the 2 colours so it would create a checkerboard effect when joined without sashing.

MaryKatherine 02-10-2015 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7085341)
I like the variety but you will need to work out a design so no 2 fabrics are beside each other unless you are adding sashing. The 2 colour combo you would just need to switch the location of the 2 colours so it would create a checkerboard effect when joined without sashing.

That's what the wall is for, isn't it. I've even thought of off setting the 9 patches.
BTW this is the back.

QuiltnNan 02-10-2015 12:10 PM

personally, i prefer the two colors around... but the multicolor does not look bad.

sewbizgirl 02-10-2015 06:19 PM

I think the two colors per block is going to work better for you. One thing I notice is that your greens are all about the same color and value, which means that they are going to look pretty much like the same color all the way around the animal. (Squint and look at your layout and you'll see what I mean.) I think the look of the quilt would be much more interesting if you alternate those greens with some lighter greens or a yellow, or tan... anything that would provide more contrast. Then make the blocks with the darker color in the corners for half of the blocks, and the lighter color in the corners for the other half. That way when you put them together you can have darks next to light and lights next to darks, but no two of the same value side by side. It makes for a much more pleasing look. Good luck!