Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which design to quilt the border pictures attached....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-quilt-border-pictures-attached-t190865.html)

eastermarie 06-05-2012 04:28 AM

Which design to quilt the border pictures attached.......

5 Attachment(s)
Which design is best for the outer border? 1. The Popcorn 2. The Spiral. These are the wooden pattern boards. The Flutter Bys Groovy Board is the light colored plastic board. It will be used for the center of the quilt. I tried to take close-up photo of the fabrics in the quilt and a picture of the whole quilt. It sure was windy outside. Hope you can see the detail. Since there was so much gold metallic in most of the fabrics, I decided to use Superior's Gold Metallic thread for the quilting. I liked the openness and gentle curves of the Flutter Bys pattern which would off set the sharp edges of the blocks. The Popcorn and that Spiral are the only two patterns I have that will fit in the area of the outer border. As you can tell by my use of the boards I have not learned how to FMQ yet. This quilt will be a gift. I do not want to experiment on it. Your help and tips & or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.. Attached Images

faykilgore 06-05-2012 04:55 AM

Gorgeous quilt. I really like the flutterbys for the body. Maybe the spiral border because it has a softer look to it than the popcorn. I have used a butterfly pattern from Pat Cody's book, Continuous Line Quilting Designs called flutterbys for borders. It's a simple pattern and I do free motion on my standard Bernina. I've never used a long arm. Is there any way to modify the flutterby body pattern into a border pattern?
Good luck, but the quilt is so beautiful and the pattern so busy I would keep the quilting simple and open.
Just MHO.

JustAbitCrazy 06-05-2012 05:00 AM

Either one will work, just a matter of preference. The quilt is gorgeous! The board in the first pic has a wavering line, which kind of ties in with the erratic flight of a butterfly...just thinkin'...:cool:

JudyMN 06-05-2012 05:14 AM

Beautiful quilt! I like the spirals. They compliment the around the world "circle".

eastermarie 06-05-2012 05:22 AM

Ladies, thanks for your ideas. What do you think about stitching down that gold narrow little border and then just doing the Flutter Bys design edge to edge?

joyce888 06-05-2012 05:28 AM

Very pretty. I think your right in your second question.

quiltstringz 06-05-2012 05:34 AM

You can baste down the little flange border, do an edge to edge and then just remove the basting on the flange. I have done that in the past and it has turned out nice. I usually baste on my sewing maching with the largest stitch available and it comes out easy when done

jaciqltznok 06-05-2012 06:17 AM

butterfly for body and spiral for border

JustAbitCrazy 06-05-2012 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by eastermarie (Post 5266600)
Ladies, thanks for your ideas. What do you think about stitching down that gold narrow little border and then just doing the Flutter Bys design edge to edge?

My preference would be to keep the gold narrow border free and quilt the body and borders separately.

DebraK 06-05-2012 09:00 AM

I think the first border has a cloud like Asian feel to to it.