Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which design wall fabric do you prefer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-fabric-do-you-prefer-t284564.html)

elizajo 12-18-2016 06:35 PM

Which design wall fabric do you prefer?

Can you please tell me which of these fabrics will support the weight of a pieced 12" block without pinning?

cheap flannel
dense flannel (a premium heavy weight sheet)
poly fleece
batting
headliner fabric

I want to cut insulation panels into two pieces and cover with one of these fabrics. Thanks!

Alice PD 12-18-2016 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also made my design wall with insulation panels. I used 505 spray adhesive to attach cotton batting (a smoother batting than warm and natural). This has been great. I 505 spray attached it, thinking someday (after much use) I may want to replace it. It holds blocks with ease. It has even held a 60" x 60" quilt top with no problem. I have attached a picture. Along the top I placed hanging over the door hooks. These hooks hold a skinny rod. This allows me to hang a heavy quilt with clips along this top rod. Once I was working on a quilt and didn't want to remove it, so I covered it with another piece of batting and then hung another quilt top over that for temporary working needs. No problems. Hope this helps.

tuckyquilter 12-18-2016 07:17 PM

I use cheap flannel back plastic tablecloths bought after a holiday and tape those suckers to the wall with blue painters tape. It's worked for a lot of years. I clean the flannel side now and again with freezer paper ironed on and the pulled off. Keeps it pretty clean. When it's totally shot, I buy another one. I'm able to position 4, 12.5 inch blocks with 2.5 in sashing across and 4 to 7 down with nothing falling off or the "design wall coming loose" from the wall.

OR you can spend a ton of money and get the same results.

Alice PD 12-18-2016 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter (Post 7721952)
I use cheap flannel back plastic tablecloths bought after a holiday and tape those suckers to the wall with blue painters tape. It's worked for a lot of years. I clean the flannel side now and again with freezer paper ironed on and the pulled off. Keeps it pretty clean. When it's totally shot, I buy another one. I'm able to position 4, 12.5 inch blocks with 2.5 in sashing across and 4 to 7 down with nothing falling off or the "design wall coming loose" from the wall.

Using freezer paper to clean the batting was a great idea. I'll be using that tip, Thanks!

Cari-in-Oly 12-18-2016 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter (Post 7721952)

I do the same thing except I use push pins to hold it up on the wall. My $3.00 tablecloth has lasted about 4 years so far and still holding up.

Cari

QuiltE 12-18-2016 08:09 PM

My design wall is fleece on top of tentest sheeting.
I seldom pin to it, but it is soft enough, that I can put pins in, if needed.

I have even hung completed queen size flimsies without pins.
However, I do put in a few, if I am leaving it for any length of time
...... just in case it decides it does not want to stay in place!
I'd sooner do that, than to come back to find my nicely pressed flimsy in a jumbled wrinkled mess!

I used black fleece because I hated all the grubby looking white/cream design walls I was seeing in stores. If threads collect on it, I simply run a lint roller over it and it is soon back to basic black!

Peckish 12-18-2016 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by elizajo (Post 7721924)
Can you please tell me which of these fabrics will support the weight of a pieced 12" block without pinning?

cheap flannel
dense flannel (a premium heavy weight sheet)
poly fleece
batting
headliner fabric

I have tried everything on your list and found that batting (W&N) was the best and stickiest. I can put entire rows up without pinning.

zozee 12-18-2016 09:05 PM

Batting. It works best of all the alternatives I've tried. Like Peckish, I like Warm & Natural as well.

sweetana3 12-19-2016 02:57 AM

I did a whole wall with insulation board and Warm & Natural. Use spray adhesive or something to keep the batting against the board. Two pins will hold a whole quilt and blocks stick without pins. One of the best investments ever. Whatever batting you use, one with a scrim is best to hold the fibers together when you want to clean it of excess threads.

joyce888 12-19-2016 03:21 AM

I used a heavy felt and it works perfectly. I don't get a lot of loose threads sticking to get like I did when I used batting. I used good old duck tape and adhere it to the back.