Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design wall ideas Anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-ideas-anyone-t265853.html)

Grammahunt 05-31-2015 01:04 PM

Design wall ideas Anyone?

I have searched the board but cannot find design wall ideas. Can anyone direct me to them?
I need to be able to stick pins into it and it can't cost a fortune. Pink insulation boards were my first choice but the cost is outrageous--$38 for a 2" 4x8 sheet. Of course I want two. Hubby told me to find a less expensive method. I can't find one.
Your help is appreciated.

Grammahunt

quiltingcandy 05-31-2015 01:20 PM

Grasping at straws - but have you considered going to an appliance store and asking for a box for a refrigerator? My husband used them when making back drops in haunted houses. My nephew got a couple, put them together and made an indoor play house for his twins. They used that for years.

Cari-in-Oly 05-31-2015 01:24 PM

Mine is a $2 flannel backed tablecloth from Big Lots.

Cari

Belfrybat 05-31-2015 01:32 PM

I use a flannel back tablecloth also -- works great and since it is only attached at the top, I can pin to it if needed. I'm not sure why you want something 2" thick? Seems that 1/2" would work fine as long as you stick your pins at an angle.

Cam's gram 05-31-2015 01:41 PM

I used 1" thick for my design wall and it works great. I covered it with flannel.

PaperPrincess 05-31-2015 01:58 PM

Just curious why you need to use pins? I use flannel & everything sticks just fine by itself.

NoraB 05-31-2015 02:05 PM

When we replaced a glass door, I used the box it came in for a "design wall". I covered it with an old mattress pad from a twin bed we didn't have any longer. Cost nothing, but I DID have to use pins to keep the blocks attached. Just keep the box intact so you have those "spare inches" between the front and back of the box.

luvstoquilt301 05-31-2015 02:17 PM

I use a queen size batting (cotton) push pinned into the wall. Everything sticks really well except when I have on the ceiling fan. Then I just use regular sewing pins. We rent and these push pins leave very small holes in the wall. Paint covers them up.

RST 05-31-2015 02:36 PM

I have 1/2 inch insulation board and it was nowhere near that expensive. I have an 8 foot by 8 foot design wall covered with felt and the total cost was about $25. So look for another type of insulation or another source, because that just doesn't sound right.

I like using pins too. Individual blocks will stick nicely to flannel of felt, but when you have a whole row, or lots of piecing, they can fall off. I also like having an open window and a ceiling fan going in my sewing room, which often blows blocks off the wall without a pin here or there.

thimblebug6000 05-31-2015 05:28 PM

I don't know if your area has a recycling depot for styrofoam or not, but if it does, you could pop down to see if they had any sheets brought in from packaging of large items. I used to have a sheet about 4'x 8' and stitched an old flannel sheet into a pillow case for it and then just tacked it to the wall. It was great for smaller projects but then I decided to hang more wallhangings in my sewing room so just use a flannel sheet now that I made a pocket for and hung from a curtain rod. It's not the greatest but works for my needs.