Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Wall question.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-question-t232902.html)

gump51 10-21-2013 07:39 AM

Design Wall question....

I am creating a new design wall (portable) and would like your opinions on covering it. Which do you prefer....flannel, felt, batting, or the backside of plastic table cloth? Any and all thoughts appreciated!!!

MamaBear61 10-21-2013 07:42 AM

I covered mine with "blanketing" which I bought by the yard from a clearance table at a local fabric store. It feels similar to felt but maybe a little thicker and it seems to work well for me

tessagin 10-21-2013 07:47 AM

I use the flannel table cloths as my design wall is also portable. I can hang mine anywhere anyone will let me! See what works for you best.

quiltstringz 10-21-2013 07:52 AM

I prefer batting (100% cotton) I think you get the best stick with it.

Tartan 10-21-2013 07:59 AM

It depends on what and how you made the base. If it is foam that you are going to pin to, is it a wooden frame, is it cork board? I have a hanging plastic table cloth and the blocks stick fairly well but I have to pin anything bigger than a block. If it is a permanent design wall I would go with batt if it doesn't have anything softness for pins. I would cover with flannel if it has a soft surface for pins too.

Skittl1321 10-21-2013 08:11 AM

I used batting because I had it on hand. Plus, if I ever really need batting for a quilt; I'll have some on hand :) Then I'll just need a new design wall. (Mine is a foam core that I pin into)

clsurz 10-21-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by gump51 (Post 6360098)
I am creating a new design wall (portable) and would like your opinions on covering it. Which do you prefer....flannel, felt, batting, or the backside of plastic table cloth? Any and all thoughts appreciated!!!

It all works. It is just a matter of what you like or have on hand.

I was at sew day the other Saturday here in town and a lady showed the one she made. She took a cardboard box and cut two largest sides to it and tape one end so she could fold it together to carry. On each piece she used some left over warm and natural scraps to cover it. It wasn't a very big one, only big enough to create a block of perhaps 15 X 20 area.

AliKat 10-21-2013 10:04 AM

Personal choice. Even thin whaled corduroy works.

I used batting with mine. Almost wish I had used felt as it would be easier to get rid of all those loose threads that accumulate over time.

soccertxi 10-21-2013 10:19 AM

I have used batting, flannel backed table cloth and now white fleece. They are all wonderful...just depends on what works for your budget, your space...and in my case, what I find on sale! lolol

gramajo 10-21-2013 03:27 PM

I'm using an old mattress cover. It's kind of fleecy, but not really a fleece. I can smooth the blocks over it and they hold. If I have several blocks sewn together, I need to pin them.