Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-t237138.html)

Dina 12-21-2013 08:49 AM

I agree that I am not sure how long the duck tape will last, but so far it has been three years. Flannel would work well too, I am sure. I just leave the threads on and don't try to clean them off though. A friend told me that her granddaughter vacuumed the threads off, trying to be helpful, and stuff never stuck the same afterwards. :) So I just leave mine on.

Dina

sananddandy 12-21-2013 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6467240)
Thanks, it works really well for me.

I have even used both sides of mine if I have a couple of projects going. Just used flannel on the reverse side temporarily.

sandy l 12-22-2013 04:08 AM

I got the largest artist canvas board that was on sale at Michaels. Covered it with flannel and hung on the wall. Works great.

marsharini 12-22-2013 04:14 AM

Going to Home Depot today to pick up a foam board. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

AliKat 12-22-2013 10:31 AM

I did similar with the insulation board. I bought 2 pieces of 4' x 8' then used duct tape to make a hinge so that I only have 1 side exposed til I need it folded out. I did use regular spray adhesive to keep the batting [what I used instead of felt or flannel, because I had a lot] on the insulation. A friend came over and helped me with this.

Another friend helped me make a g rid using ribbon so that the larger open design wall in now in 12" grids with diagonal markings from the corners.

I don't know how long I've had mine, but it has been years now.

I did make a vinyl cover for the bottom of the wall so that it wouldn't get dirty near the floor. I slide the folded wall over a built in desk area where I keep my serger, so now the serger is artifully hidden from view.

Dina 12-22-2013 10:36 AM

AliKat, your design wall sounds great. I really like the grid idea. May have to add to mine. :)

Dina

SewExtremeSeams 12-22-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat (Post 6469062)
I did similar with the insulation board. I bought 2 pieces of 4' x 8' then used duct tape to make a hinge so that I only have 1 side exposed til I need it folded out. I did use regular spray adhesive to keep the batting [what I used instead of felt or flannel, because I had a lot] on the insulation. A friend came over and helped me with this.

Another friend helped me make a g rid using ribbon so that the larger open design wall in now in 12" grids with diagonal markings from the corners.

I don't know how long I've had mine, but it has been years now.

I did make a vinyl cover for the bottom of the wall so that it wouldn't get dirty near the floor. I slide the folded wall over a built in desk area where I keep my serger, so now the serger is artifully hidden from view.

Great ideas. Thanks.

sosew4fun 12-23-2013 04:05 AM

I do have the design wall you inquired about. It works very well, blocks stick to it . The screen is actually sturdy,the
only problem I see is lots of threads stick to it. Mine was originally hung too high(over a door) and now have it moved
lower so I can reach the top without using a stool.

anonymous 12-23-2013 04:46 AM

I am just considering this retractable design wall. The owner told me to use a lint roller to get stray threads and bring up the flannel nap, do you find this helpful?

jeanneb52 12-23-2013 04:47 AM

My hubby made mine out of a roll up blind, you know the cheap ones that look like bamboo. 6 feet across, six long. Covered with flannel It hangs off a horizontal beam in my sewing room. I just roll it up when not in use. I have no wall space as there are shelves on all the wall.