Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-t292300.html)

newbee3 11-01-2017 12:43 PM

design wall

what do you use for a design wall. I was using flannel backed table cloths but they are about worthless now seems like the flannel is not very good on them and I purchased them at dollar store. I have looked other places for them in department stores but have not found any. So was at fabric store the other day and she said she used felt. So got some of that I do not have to pin everything

MaryKatherine 11-01-2017 01:11 PM

I bought two full sheets of Styrofoam insulation
and tacked them to the wall. I covered it with an old sheet and Pin to it.

EasyPeezy 11-01-2017 01:35 PM

I covered two sheets of insulation with white flannel on a curtain
rod...pinned the sides and bottom. When it gets dirty I can remove
the flannel and wash. Of course it will be more "sticky" when the
flannel is new. Putting a few pins to attach my blocks don't bother
me. Beats having to crawl on the floor or over a bed.

QuiltE 11-01-2017 01:44 PM

Fleece has been my favourite for design walls for years.

joe'smom 11-01-2017 01:59 PM

I tacked a Warm and Natural batt to my wall.

Anniedeb 11-01-2017 02:18 PM

I don"t have/use a design wall. I sew in my dining room, and there is literally not any open vertical space to use. If I absolutely need to see how something "flows" I have tacked things to the front of my china hutch!

roguequilter 11-01-2017 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 7936008)
what do you use for a design wall. I was using flannel backed table cloths but they are about worthless now seems like the flannel is not very good on them and I purchased them at dollar store. I have looked other places for them in department stores but have not found any. So was at fabric store the other day and she said she used felt. So got some of that I do not have to pin everything

i've been using felt for nearly thirty years. it has always worked great. i clean loose threads with lint brush. i also make small design boards for my miniatures. last home i made a design wall with felt glued to heavy appliance packing cardboard & attached to sewing room wall with molly screws. current home i have a strip of flannel hung over deck window with wooden dowel in hem at bottom for weight and to keep out straight. i roll up or unhook when not in use.

roguequilter 11-01-2017 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb (Post 7936076)
I don"t have/use a design wall. I sew in my dining room, and there is literally not any open vertical space to use. If I absolutely need to see how something "flows" I have tacked things to the front of my china hutch!

i use my dining room also. open floor plan, ergo, i hung felt panel over windows to deck :thumbup:

QuiltE 11-01-2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb (Post 7936076)

Suggestion .... a piece of corroplast would slide behind your hutch, and would lean up against the hutch when you want to use it. Could stab pins through to hold blocks on to it. Or could cover the corroplast with fleece, and the blocks will stick to it without the pins.

Jingle 11-01-2017 03:15 PM

I use my bed as my design wall. I don't crawl on the bed, it would mess up the quilt blocks. I just walk around the end and sides of bed, on the floor. Same as when I go to bed. After I like the arrangement I number all blocks W/ Crayola washable markers. Yes, the markers all wash completely out all the time and always.